How to get rid of virus/malware on windows xp?

So i have picked up a virus or malware (or something like it) on my computer and it has made my computer so that only firefox will work on the internet. IE8 and even programs like iTunes cannot connect to the internet but still work (like i can still play songs on iTunes but i cannot connect to the store) and... show more So i have picked up a virus or malware (or something like it) on my computer and it has made my computer so that only firefox will work on the internet. IE8 and even programs like iTunes cannot connect to the internet but still work (like i can still play songs on iTunes but i cannot connect to the store) and there is no problem with my internet at home because my other computers and wifi devices work flawlessly. after i got the virus/malware i downloaded AVG and Malwarebytes anti-malware along with the pre-existing aol/mcafee security that was working on my computer at the time i got the virus and they have found problems and taken care of them but there is obviously something still on my computer holding it back from performing to what it used to.....what do I do? and how can i get rid of the problem so my computer works smoothly again just as it did before? thanks!!
9 answers 9