can the canada revenue agency take my child tax credit if i owe them?

i just got reassessed through the canada revenue agency for my 2007 income tax claim. in the claim, i claimed my child tax benenfit instead of my ex whom i was seperated with at the time yet still living under the same roof. apparently he was supposed to claim the child tax because he made a lesser income than me. So now cra is saying i owe them 3000. I know when you owe the governement they can take your g.s.t from you as a form of repayment, but can they take your child tax benefit from you as well, i am currently a single parent who relies on this.

anybody know?

4 Answers

  • John Q
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Canada Revenue always reserves the right to retain all or a portion of a benefit payment to settle a balance owing to them. This includes Child Tax Benefits, Universal Child Care Benefits, GST credits etc. The best thing for you to do is call Canada Revenue at 1-800-959-8281 to arrange a payment schedule. It is always better to call them before they call you.

    I am not exactly clear on why you owe $3,000 but the tax credit for having a child does not have to be claimed by the lower income person; either person can make the claim. What you may be referring to is the deduction for child care expenses which does have to be claimed by the lower income person.

  • lau
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Cra Child Tax Credit

  • 1 decade ago

    I suggest you take your notice of reassessment and a copy of your 2007 tax return to a tax preparer and go over it again. You may be able to lower the amount owed or eliminate it altogether. I have helped many people in situation like this before.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    You fill out the forms they send to your last known address in Canada. The form comes with a large hand book.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.