does wearing the confederate flag neccesarily make you a racist?

I've seen kkk's wear confederate flags, but i've also know this white girl who wears a confederate flag and we are friends. so does wearing the confederate flag mean that you are a racist or does it resemble something?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I find it amusing that the people that are answering this have been raised in the North and know only of what they have been told by history books and opinionated teachers.

It honestly depends on the person. The KKK and the Skin Heads and such have taken the confederate flag and distorted the meaning. Although rich white politicians did use slavery as a supporting issue for secession, the main issue was that the Federal government was ceasing control from the states. Though at the beginning of our country, the Articles of Confederation were written to ensure that the states would retain their ability to govern their own people over a central government that was thought to be out of touch with individual citizens. Though the Articles did not last long, the ideal was still alive in the new Constitution, in the 10th Amendment of the Bill of Rights. When the southerners thought this power was being threatened, they did something about it for fear of Oligarchy.

Some people wear the flag in remembrance of this idea, and how their ancestors fought to ensure that their freedom stayed as is. Most of the people who have ancestors that fought in the war did not own slaves. And of the few that did, not many actually believe that it was ok.

What most people tend to forget is that the North might have won the war, but they didn't have to suffer the long lasting effects of it other than death. Southerners had to deal with Sherman's march destroying their lands and ability to provide for themselves. Entire cities, towns and properties were reduced to ash and crumbling buildings. Not to mention the rape and murder of many southern women by lonely northern soldiers during and after the war.

This is why the bad blood exists between the north and south; when a population is decimated and their lives destroyed, it isn't easily forgotten, even from generation to generation.

Wearing a confederate flag does not necessarily mean you are racist. It may simply mean you remember that your ancestors fought to give you a better life, and suffered and died for it. Just because you were not on the winning side, does not mean you should forget.

So if the only thing you see in the Confederate flag is racism, it's probably because you are not educated enough to know the difference.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The confederate flag is the flag of treason. It came about when southern states wanted to keep Blacks enslaved and then seceded from the United States when the vile institutions of slavery was threatened.

People can say it is a southern thing or a redneck symbol or whatever BS they want to say to cloak their RACISM. Spend time with a person who flaunts this symbol and you will quickly flush out a racist. don't be fooled by their rhetoric!

• tommi
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Rebel Flag Shirts For Girls

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, but it does mean you're rather insensitive about it's impact on certain folks. If one wants to honor one's Confederate ancestors, how's about a shirt with the First National or the Bonny Blue? The commonly-noted flag with the Cross of St. Andrew was the battle flag, and got its start as a naval ensign. I have a First National on my flagpole outside, next to a slightly taller flagpole with the U.S. flag and the POW flag. Nobody's ever found the First National offensive, and those in the know respect it as a memorial to my ancestor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Racist are people who go out of their way to make thing difficult or impossible for another race. That girl wearing a shirt is not going to stop your progress. She may be prejudice but she is not racist unless she does something. Racists are active. Prejudice people just don't want to be around you.

• 1 decade ago

The confederate flag was a symbol for the southern whites who were against Abraham Lincoln and the union because of slave emancipation. In other words, the flag represents a desire for slavery and it is very anti-American. I'm sure your idiot white friend doesn't even know that. Why don't you tell her to read up about her history before making a complete fool of herself. It's racist

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Anyone with any common sense knows exactly why anyone wears the confederate flat. The civil war is long over and they lost. It's worn to cause tension and friction and for no other reason. It means and stands for absolutely nothing anymore so there is no reason to wear it. There is no "confederacy" anymore so it is obsolete and just a painful reminder for many of the past. It takes someone who isn't afraid of at the very least "confrontation" to wear one. Truthfully do you think this person would walk through a mostly African American neighborhood wearing this shirt? If they cannot wear it "everywhere" with pride to express themselves then they shouldn't wear it anywhere.

Happy 2010!!!

• 1 decade ago

Considering what the flag symbolizes I would hesitate (refrain from) wearing the confederate flag if I wasn't racist. You do the math.

• foenix
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It really doesn't mean a person is racist. referring to people as black or white or hispanic or otherwise defining them by their appearances or ethnicity defines them as racist...

People forget that the civil war was fought for more than just the right to "own" slaves. It was fought primarily for the right of each state to determine their own laws, for their own autonomy. That was the biggest issue. It was mainly the North who decided to push the issue as being mainly about slavery. Yes, that was part of it, but again, that fell back on the right of each state to set their own laws, some of which was whether slavery would be legal, state-by-state.

The southern states decided to secede in order to be able to govern themselves.

THAT is mainly what the confederate flag symbolized- a rebellion against the union and the right of the states to self-govern. THAT is why you will be seeing more and more "rebel" flags in the years to come as more and more people are getting upset about the federal government eroding our freedoms and pressuring the states to comply, mainly with money, to federal rules. More and more people are unhappy with the constitution being used as little more than toilet paper by the powers that be (and have been).

This has little or nothing to do with racism, and more to do with dissatisfaction with losing our rights to live our own lives and make our own decisions.

In my opinion, the only people who are really racist are those who keep using racism as an excuse, or who keep referring to others as black or white or hispanic. If you truly believe we are all equal, you won't even define someone by their color or ethnicity, yet we see that from the highest "power" in our land on down. Get past defining someone by their looks, and we stand a chance of true equality. Keep calling others racist, and you are setting yourself up as superior, which defeats the idea of equality.

And, for the record, I was born and raised in the north and taught all my life that the south was wrong and the union was right. I just happen to see now that the control that is being exerted over every bit of our daily lives is a bad thing, and I understand better why there are more and more who are against a big goverment... If you judge others by what they wear or how they appear, then you are more part of the problem than the solution. Sorry to be so blunt.

• Nick
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

They are committing treason against the united states; and if they wore an American flag on a t-shirt; they would also be breaking the law as that would be considered defacing the flag. But to answer your question; more then likely she is just ignorant and doesn't understand that that flag really means.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.