Why did we let those damn Neoconservatives and Religious Righties take over the Republican Party?

Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan would not be proud. Thanks to likes of Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, John McCain and George W. Bush, the Republican Party has become one of the most fiscally undisciplined, free market unfriendly and theocratic political parties in the United States. It hurts us that the GOP in Congress only took the mantle of fiscal discipline and deregulation (insofar as there are still non-Keynesians in the GOP) and makes us look hypocritical as we combat the encroachment of government upon the private sector and a soaring national debt. First thing we need to do is get rid of all the Keynesians in the GOP (i.e. GWB and John McCain) and replace them with Neoclassical and Chicago School economists.

Favorite Answer

I would love to see the answer to this question! I am answering just to keep track of this one, because I have absolutely NO idea why intelligent sensible conservatives let the GOP be overrun by fanatical liars and hypocrites.

• You almost got it right.

Now think of the Arab Oil Embargo of the 70's and understand that the embargo was a PUNISHMENT against America for supporting Israel in a war against Saudi Arabia which Saudi Arabia lost and you start to understand that the current republican party is the direct result of Saudi Arabia's premeditated plan to destroy America from within (and thereby destroy Israel too) all by buying large interests in all the banks, oil corps and members of the Republican party who are simply doing as the Saudi Royal Family is dictating to them.

We are now seeing the results of a Saudi Domestic Terror Network the idea of which was given birth on the day of the Saudi Oil Embargo.

It took until now to get all the pieces into place and it ain't over by a long shot.

Got me but its the reason I jumped ship years ago. I've been Constitution Party for over a decade now because its the only true remaining Conservative Party out there.

EDIT: People like mrsengk always make me laugh, falling for the weekly DNC newsletter talking points...Republicans arent the Party of No, thats just a meaningless generalization that was spawned by the Left that youve obviously fallen for, sadly.

I don't think you are a republican or conservative. In that case, the only reason you would want the republicans to do this is because you think it would help liberals keep their offices. The liberals have their chance now, and they are blowing it. Mccain, Bush, and those other people are nowhere near neoconservatives or religious righties. But since you are a liberal, you probably don't know or care about the difference.

• Oscar

Because liberal Democrats don't have a say in who is or is not a member of the Republican party.

Are you so deluded as to believe that alienating the tens of millions of Evangelical Christians, driving them from the party, is smart?

I agree with you 100%. I'll probably always lean liberal, but that doesn't mean I don't want a Republican party that actually contributes constructive criticism to the process. Automatically saying no to everything is not a solution.

That's just what we need, a leftist dem muslim terrorist divining what is "wrong" with the republican party...lmao

How can you focus on that with all that the current party in office is screwing up? Beats me.