How much would I expect to spend to make a VFR C150 IFR certified?

I'm thinking of buying a C150 to continue my flight training, but I'm having a hard time finding an IFR certified C150 that is practical for me. Either they are too far away, or too expensive. Yet, there seems to be quite a few C150s that are only VFR certified in my area, and they are rather inexpensive. I dont find it very wise to buy a C150 and then have to rent a different plane to do my Instrument training in. So how much would it cost to make a C150 IFR certified and what would I need to do?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • RickH
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

As has been said, it all depends on why the airplane is VFR limited, and how much work you will have to do. Unless it is missing one of the IFR required components listed in FAR 91.205 which I have quoted below in part:

FAR 91.205

Add Day and Night Instrument PLUS

(2) Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.

(3) Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator

(4) Slip-skid indicator.

(5) Sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure.

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

(7) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity.

(8) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).

(9) Gyroscopic direction indicator (directional gyro or equivalent).

I suspect that the VFR 150s have most if not all of this, so you probably need a static check, and maybe the clock will need to be repaired and/or replaced. BTW, if the clock or other instrument is inoperative, even for VFR flight the aircraft is unairworthy, unless the item has been placarded, and deactivated.

The more important question is why are all these 150s not IFR, and the answer is that long, long ago, almost everyone concluded that the C150 was too light and unstable to make a good instrument platform. Before you invest a lot of money on a C150 getting it IFR certified, go take an lesson or two in 150/152 (a VFR only airplane is just fine for taking instruction, you just can't file IFR), and then take a lesson or two in a 172. If you are still convinced that you want a 150 for instrument training, then pick the one that you want, that has the best complement of required instruments and radios, and take it to a radio shop for a quote. That is the only way that you will know for certain.

• 1 decade ago

Just buy an IFR 150 or cherokee 140 and save yourself the headache. To convert a VFR one, you have to get the instruments, a new panel, and cut new holes for the proper antennas, new weight and balance data, etc. etc. You will easily spend more on upgrading the plane than what you originally paid for it. NOTHING in aviation is cheap, and that little beat up C-150 you see on the ramp will very quickly turn into a money pit. We're talking airplanes here, they're never too far away, get an certified IFR one ferried to where you're at.

• Kerry
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayhsz

1) Most airline flights are IFR flights because they will be above 18000 ft, and because the IFR flight plan provides a backup record for the airline's dispatcher log. There are times when commercial aircraft fly VFR, namely, charter and out-of-the-way scheduled flights in non-pressurized, but nonetheless commercial, aircraft that will not fly that high. Imagine the Alaska bush pilot, for example: that's a commercial flight, but may not fly higher than a couple of thousand feet, and not go near any controlled airspace. Occasionally jet airliners will fly VFR when ferrying or making short hops where it is more practical to remain at a lower altitude. 2) In VFR flight, the pilot is responsible for all aspects of flight planning and execution, and, so long as the flight does not violate regulations, may do as he or she pleases. If a VFR flight enters controlled airspace, contact must be made and maintained with the appropriate air traffic control authority, and the instructions of that authority must be obeyed whenever able. 3) You can file an IFR flight plan under any conditions.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

One thing to consider when making an C150 IFR certified is that you will be adding a fair amount of weight that reduces the useful load...

Since a C150 has a 500 lb useful load to begin with, adding 150 lb in avionics, wiring, and antennas means either less fuel (with IFR alternates and reserve, that will limit the range) or reduced weight in the cabin.. If you weigh 130 lb and your instructor/passenger is similarly small, it will work... otherwise, I'd be looking for an IFR Cessna 172.

Practically speaking, the C150 is a marginal IFR airplane for anything other than IFR training due to its limited performance and range.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • als
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Cessna 172 Ifr

• John R
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

How much do you want to spend? Do you want GPS, DME, Dual VOR's?

An IFR certication is nothing more than a static system chack, and a VOR check - and you can do the VOR check your self. It's completely legal to fly IFR with a single VOR receiver, it's just not practical to do so.

Most VFR 150's have a single VOR, for IFR training at minimum you will want dual VOR's, one with a glideslope. You can find something like a recondiitoned Bendix/King KX-165 GS NAV/COM for under $4000, plus installation. A Garmin GNS-430AW GPS/COM/NAV/ILS will run around $15k

• 1 decade ago

you really need to ask a avionics shop that question but i think it would be better for you money and time wise to buy one already ifr cert and have it delivered to you. it normally cost 6 to 10 thousand dollars more for a 150 already ifr cert without having to waite for the plane at the shop. not to mention you may have to get a new panel and redo the electrical system.

• Mark
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

What's missing? Just get a C150. It'll have a VOR receiver. Add an ILS display. What more do you want?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.