Husband just diagnosed with fatty liver disease...but he doesn't want to stop drinking!?

So...my husband and I just returned from an appointment with a liver specialist. They say he has fatty liver disease...but not sure if it is alcoholic nor non. They want him to stop drinking totally for one month and then be rechecked. I suspect (and they do as well) that it is alcoholic fatty liver disease... show more So...my husband and I just returned from an appointment with a liver specialist. They say he has fatty liver disease...but not sure if it is alcoholic nor non. They want him to stop drinking totally for one month and then be rechecked. I suspect (and they do as well) that it is alcoholic fatty liver disease because my husband drinks several beers a day and usually two or three strong mixed drinks. He told me today that he will "cut back" even though doc says he should 100 percent stop.

What if he did simply cut back considerably? Could the disease progress even with much smaller alcohol amounts?

I want him to totally stop but I know he won't at this point..so I'd like to get more educated on what to expect possibly if he won't totally stop drinking. If someone goes from large amounts of alcohol to very small, I would think that would make a big difference..but perhaps I'm just hopeful.

Thank you!