Why do people think banning guns helps reduce crime?

Hear me out- Criminals mostly acquire guns illegally, and most guns bought legitimately are not used for crime. If everyone owned a firearm, crime would be reduced, home invasions brought to a near stop. If everyone carried a gun, robberies would almost never happen. If just one person at virginia tech had a gun, it could have ended earlier. If guns are outlawed, the only people who will have them is criminals and cops, and civilians would be helpless.

John N, How would the criminal get "the most expensive gun money could buy" without a job? he'd at least have to play nice untill he saved up enough. Who ever owns the 22 needs a bigger gun ;)

By the way, AKs are generally cheap, and inaccurate, and an AK vs a .22 is better than an AK vs an unarmed person.

While i agree that it's not realistic to expect that a criminal abide by gun laws, I don't agree with the notion that everyone owning a firearm would decrease crime.

In my opinion the more guns in circulation, the higher the risk of misuse. The number of crimes in which a gun owner ends up being the victim of his own weapon is outrageous.

Furthermore, the most likely reaction of a criminal to everyone owning a gun would be to get the biggest,baddest gun money could buy.A fair gunfight to a criminal isn't a .22 against a.22. It's his AK-47 against a .22.

I agree with you. The only reason some criminal doesn't come through my door with a gun to rob and rape me some night is because he or she doesn't know if they will be met with a loaded gun. They would be afraid I would pull the trigger. So, if they know that I don't have a gun they will be empowered to do whatever they want to any of us. How will we defend ourselves? A spoon?

Because they've never heard of how gun bans have affected the crime rate in Washington, DC or Britain.

I don't care what WOULD happen or what WOULDN'T happen. It's really tough to argue with statistical results of failed policies that HAVE happened (or HAVEN'T, as the case may be).

Countries with stricter gun laws have less violent crimes and lower murder rates. That's why.

Guns give power to street gangs and criminal organizations thus increasing their scope and the magnitude of violence they afflict on themselves and through collateral damage.

dude,it will never fly...you are making too much sense.not to worry,that is why we have the 2nd amendment.the smart people are armed and ready.the dummies/victims are full of hope & change.incidentally in Switzerland every household with a male resident is mandated by the gov. to have an automatic weapon and ammo for protection of home and country. it is probably the safest country in the world with low murder and burglary rates.....the swiss are not as stupid as the rest of europe.

You are Absolutely correct. Only the uninformed and the liberals believe in banning guns! Gee aren't they the same?

People are ignorant or were raised to believe such thing. I believe the same as you and I love guns just for fun plinking and target shooting

• Bert

Because guns walk around pulling their own triggers at people.

because our country is full of morons