Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

How do you feel about the confederate flag?

There's a huge, and long running controversy on this.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=confed...

Please remember, no profanity or hate speech, and

add a gold star if this was interesting.

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Some people think that the Confederate flag is racist, but No, the Confederate flag does not and never has represented racism. It is a symbol of Southern heritage, representing freedom, states rights, individual responsibility, and resistance to an out of control federal government.

It may be true that some racists have used the Confederate flag, but racists also wave the American flag. Consider these facts:

No slave ship ever sailed from a Confederate port or under a Confederate flag. On the contrary, virtually every American slave ship was from either New York or one of the New England states and they all sailed under the United States Flag. Also, at the time of the American Civil War, slavery had been practiced in every state and colony in America and was still being practiced in several northern states, under the Stars and Stripes, even during the War Between the States.

Ulysses S. Grant, commanding general of the United States Army during the War was a slave holder. Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army, was against slavery. The Confederate constitution outlawed the slave trade and Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, offered a plan that would have emancipated the Southern slaves in exchange for recognition from England and France. Davis personally had an adapted black son who lived as a member of his family in the Confederate White House. There were more free blacks, and also more abolitionists, in the South than in the North. Tens of thousands of black soldiers fought for the Confederate States of America in a war which they considered a second American Revolution, a "War for Southern Independence."

Unfortunately some racist groups have used the Confederate flag in recent years, but those same groups, especially the Ku Klux Klan, have historically used the American flag for a much longer period of time.

The truth is, neither the American Flag nor the Confederate Flag is racist. If people who are racists fly either flag, that does not mean the flag itself represents racism.

• robert2 years agoReport

Agreed. On all counts grumpy cat!! These folks have not ever been taught the true meaning I have several flags in my home!! And just try to remove them from my house!! My son has black friends allowed in my house they were taught what the flag truly means!!

• Dawn

I am a Northerner. The confederate flag is part of the history of the South. And I agree with them, that if you don't like it, get out. It has been turned into a symbol of racism by those who do not like it. If you do not like it, then have Congress pass a law, like Germany did after WWII, that bans the display of the flag (in Germany's case, the Nazi flag) If you believe it should be banned, I will not stop you. That is your right as an American Citizen.

It's a disgrace and should be buried along with its ugly past. It is a shameful reminder of slavery and segregation.

The Confederate flag has also been appropriated by the Ku Klux Klan and other racist hate groups. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.

• robert2 years agoReport

Continuing on but the lgbt community have taken that and ruined it for there own personal disgusting use!! Now see that offends me! But that's ok see because I have southern heritage and display a flag you don't and many others don't like or those who fly it, so you and others are just as racist!

It looked cool on the roof of the General Lee on the Dukes of Hazzard back in the 80's. Other than that, it really doesn't belong.

I recognize that to some it is a symbol of southern pride, rather than a symbol of slavery and the civil war, but because of the other connotations it evokes images of rednecked bigots.

j0e

• I love when people say it represents southern pride... It's like a German waving the Nazi flag and saying that's German Pride....

• I think it is old-fashioned, why bring this up after the war? Can't these people keep their opinions on races to themselves? It isn't interesting just annoying. I live in thwest coast and I don't see them as much but when I do I feel agitated that the people have the nerve to put that flag up. Why? it isn't going to change anything, does color really matter that much?

• I hate when people think it's okay to display the flag as though it wasn't a symbol of hatred and racism.

it's a flag of the historical battles the united states has evolved from. I'd keep it. it was part of the war.

• java

These days, it's a symbol of racism promoting itself as a symbol of freedom.

In the devil's throne room hang the flags of Nazi Germany and the Confederacy.

It's on the roof of dem Duke Boys' car

I don't live in a part of the country where that is a big issue, but I don't really care. I mean, it doesn't really mean anything anymore.