Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

help me please << guatemala?

what are the tourist centers in guatemala?

what are the tourism activities in guatemala?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Guatemala City is the capitol, but there isn't much there.

Antigua tends to be the hub for most tourism. It is the old capitol. There are tons of old ruins of Catholic churches/cathedrals/monestarys/etc. You'll find most of the tourism agencies there, and many will arrainge for other trips to other parts of the country for you.

Panajachel/Lake Atitlan is probably the 2nd most visited area. Beautiful crater lake surrounded by three volcano peaks. There are numerous villages surrounding the lake, each with its own artisans and different crafts.

As for tourism activities, it depends on what you are interested in.

If you are interested in ancient history/ruins, there are dozens of large Mayan ruins around the country. Tikal is the most well known (ever seen Star Wars: Episode IV? Part of the secret rebel base on the moon of Yavin is filmed in Tikal). Other easily accessible ruins include Quirigua (30' tall carved stone monuments) and Copan (just across the border in Honduras). Travel agencies can also set you up on other trips to more remote, but almost equally impressive sites (including boat trips to them, jungle treks, etc.)

If you are interested in Colonial history, Antigua is a must stay for at least a few days. Many other cities have interesting/beautiful/historical cathedrals/churches, especially Esquipulas.

If you are interested in the native Mayans and their culture, you might want to visit some of the more remote villages, especially in the highlands.

If you are interested in nature, try a cruise down Rio Dulce. Coban is also a hub for some great destinations including some caves (Lanquin) or the natural limestone bridge and waterfalls at Semuc Champey. The quetzal biotope south of Coban is also gorgeous, and a great opportunity to experience a cloud forest, even though your chances of seeing the rare quetzal bird is very slim.

Basically, there is something for anyone and everyone to see or do in Guatemala. I would strongly recommend purchasing Lonely Planet's guidebook to Guatemala if you are considering a visit there. They do a great job of listing and rating various hotels/food, tell you what places you should see in a 7-day trip, 2-week trip, etc., and much more.

Source(s): Personal experience - lived there for 2 years.
  • hempy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i'm sixteen and my admired... shade- pink Band/Artist- Any classical composer. only approximately all christian/catholic artists food- Lasagna Kissing- i've got in no way kissed a guy in the previous puppy- Cat Boyfriend/lady buddy(describe)- My boyfriend is an entire nerd. He speaks like he's examining a dictionary, and accordingly is a great man or woman to have an insightful communication with. i like it. i'm a dork. Been going out for 7 months. candy- German Chocolate holiday- Germany (have not been there in constantly) appears like we are only approximately fullyyt opposite. lol.

• 1 decade ago

go to Xocomil...... a waterpark in guatemala.. it's great..largest water park in central america

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.