IS MY CARPENTER SUPPOSED TO CHARGE ME FOR TOOLS?

I hired a carpenter and his assistant to renovate a small bathroom. I have been purchasing all the materials for the job myself at Home Depot. However, the carpenter told me to open an account at a local hardware store so that he can use it if he needs to purchase fittings for the plumbing. When I went to close... show more I hired a carpenter and his assistant to renovate a small bathroom. I have been purchasing all the materials for the job myself at Home Depot. However, the carpenter told me to open an account at a local hardware store so that he can use it if he needs to purchase fittings for the plumbing. When I went to close the account this week, I was surprised by many of the charges. I was charged $60 for a case of 3m face masks, $22 for a dust pan and brush, and also for contracter bags, razer knifes and blades, sponges, Soft Scrub, paint pails, and tape. The plumbing fittings that I thought this account was for cost about $40 which is fine.... but the other items in question totaled $170. Should these charges be included in the labor or should I be reponsible for paying for items considered 'tools'? I pay the carpenter and his assistant $375 total per day....
8 answers 8