Better producer - Dilla or RZA?

Obviously two very different styles, but overall, who would you call the *better* producer and why?

Favorite Answer

Very hard decision.

Both have consistently great beats with a few bad ones thrown in. The difference between them though is that while most of Dilla's beats sound similar, RZA experiments a lot. Usually I like producers who can incorporate different sounds and don't use the same types of beats over and over again, but RZA's experimentation hasn't been very good. He's gotten worse as time went on, and even though Dilla would have probably digressed eventually as well, he passed away before we got a chance to see. So basically, in terms of number of good beats RZA wins, but that's not really fair since he's had more time. And in terms of the percentage of good beats as opposed to bad ones, Dilla wins, which is also unfair since he had less time to mess up. Overall I'm just going with Dilla since he's a favorite of mine, but on a technical level it's a tie.

• Neither.

I never listened to each and even considered to compare the two.

Unlike Madlib and J Dilla. So it's pretty hard to say who's better since they have "two very different styles". Dilla is more versatile, while Rza is more consistent(imo). I'm not sure who's better wit' drums, piano, etc. so I can't really judge.

Though, I do PREFER the Rza because of his dark, gritty style. I feel his beats have more depth, while Dilla has a more amusing, upbeat theme(not that there is anything wrong wit' that).

Dilla has that all around Soul feel while RZA has to be one of the hardest working producers in the game....can't call it

• RZA. He's top 5 all time.

Personal preferences aside I just believe that RZA has a better discography. Dilla doesn't have a 36 Chambers, OB4CL or Liquid Swords under his belt.

• leVel8

Rza, because he doesn't experiment passed the bounderies where all you wanna do is take an aspirin as soon as possible, but yet he doesn't have one steady comfort zone... although he has a few wack productions, he's got many more memorable/Great productions... Considering Dilla's more laid back soulful productions, it's hard to tell, but he's got a lot more crappy beats than Rza. I think Rza has better piano use and he has some of the sickest drums too, but J Dilla has one of my favorite piano tracks (Roll Off Me)... I'm telling you, it's pretty hard to tell considering the great tracks from each, but considering the crappier beats, too, Rza is better.

I think RZA. I can't really explain why, besides the fact that I just like his sound better. But also he has an enormous amount of classics from back in the 90s.

• ghey

Yancy

Yancy

• Dre!

: )

Hi Bonnie.

.

Source(s): D. Dilla