James asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Any Revoluntionary Wars in New Jersey south of the Mason Dixon LIne?

Atlantic County, cumberland county, salem county, camden county,

• Spydr
    Favorite Answer

NO, since NJ is NORTH of the Mason-Dixon line

Chrispy, The Mason-Dixon line did not exist during the Revolutionary War. It was during the Civil War, so you are WRONG!!!!!!

First of all, I would like to point out that almost 1/3 of the state of New Jersey is, indeed, below the Mason-Dixon line.

That said, I'll tell you what I recall from a childhood largely spent in Camden and Gloucester Counties.

For one thing, Cornwallis marched through southern New Jersey. There is a historical marker in Woodbury commemorating this (I think it can be found at Broadway and Progress Avenue).

There was also the Battle of Red Bank, which took place along the Delaware in what is now called National Park--and a street named Hessian Avenue runs from the entrance to the Red Bank monument to what, as I recall, is a continuation of Broadway. You will also find the Whitall House still standing inside the grounds of the monument; it was owned by a Quaker family and was likely used for treating the wounded on both sides (remember, Quakers have been pacifists since their founding in the 17th century, and have a distinguished record of humanitarian service). Legend also holds that the lady of the house was calmly spinning thread in the attic during the battle.

For many years there was an old house that stood in what is now Malandra Field in Camden, NJ (the Fairview neighborhood) that had the year "1776" painted on the side. Local lore had it that Washington had stayed there; however, it burned to the ground sin the late 1960's.

I'd suggest that you contact the historical societies in the counties you mentioned for further assistance--I'm sorry to not be of any real help, but I haven't lived in the Delaware Valley in over thirty years.

PS--Salem and Burlington Counties were definitely in existence then, but I'm not sure about Gloucester County and I know for certain that Camden County wasn't formed until the 1850's, so I'd check out the websites for the various counties you mentioned to see when they were formed. Also, the Mason-Dixon Line was completed by 1767, approximately a decade BEFORE the Revolutionary War.

Source(s): childhood memories of one who was bitten early by the history bug
  • Stan W

Look up the Battle of King's Mountain, Guilford Courthouse, read up on Francis Marion AKA the Swamp Fox. You will find that a lot of the war was fought south of the Mason Dixon. In fact most of the winning battles were there. It wasnt until Washington got some of those generals to come north that he really began to reach a stalemate with the British. By the way, that is what happened. He reached a stalemate and the British government got tired of financing the war.

No, James. The Mason-Dixon line was drawn many, many years later. The line goes across the Southern line of Pennsylvania, so New Jersey was North of that. However, there was slavery in New Jersey during the Revolution, just as there was in all 13 colonies / states.

whoa nelly. jersey, as in NEW jersey, is way north of the mason-dixon line. and yup, many if not most, of the wars in the revolutionary war was fought way north of the mason-dixon line. i think you have the civil confused with the revolutionary war. the two were 80 or more years apart.

• ROBERT

Whoa nellie. That made me chuckle. New Jersey was solidly in the North. West Virgina, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri were divided.