How can unemployment tell my earnings?

When people report their earnings to unemployment they are expected to report them to the best of their knowledge. My employer pays us every 2 weeks and it is not broken down by each week. If I work 40 hours one week and 20 the next week my pay will reflect 60 hours on my paycheck. I believe somehow employers must... show more When people report their earnings to unemployment they are expected to report them to the best of their knowledge. My employer pays us every 2 weeks and it is not broken down by each week. If I work 40 hours one week and 20 the next week my pay will reflect 60 hours on my paycheck. I believe somehow employers must report what I earn to unemployment. Say my paycheck is 40 hours one week and 20 the next and I report working 30 hours each week instead since I would get a better benefit rate that way how could unemployment tell the difference? Do employers report my earnings somehow to unemployment and based on how my paycheck lists my total hours for both weeks how could they tell if I altered the hours for each week?
4 answers 4