Is it legal for the State of Alabama to pay me less than my subordinates?

I am a new police manager in a large State-owned University, but was appointed because of over 20 years experience in a previous job that I have retired from. Due to the way the University has handled pay raises in the past, my salary is much lower than present supervisors at my level, and I have several... show more I am a new police manager in a large State-owned University, but was appointed because of over 20 years experience in a previous job that I have retired from. Due to the way the University has handled pay raises in the past, my salary is much lower than present supervisors at my level, and I have several subordinates, even two levels below me, that make more than I do. They do the same work that I do, or have done in the past, and there is no reason for this inequity other than budget management. Is this legal? Should I consult an attorney? How can they do this in the United States?
Update: I assumed (based on my experience in this field) that the pay rate of a second-level supervisor would be, at minimum, above the top rate of a general police officer being supervised, and above the rate of a front line supervisor. It never occurred to me that the State of Alabama or this Mega University would allow... show more I assumed (based on my experience in this field) that the pay rate of a second-level supervisor would be, at minimum, above the top rate of a general police officer being supervised, and above the rate of a front line supervisor. It never occurred to me that the State of Alabama or this Mega University would allow an action like this to occur. I was not told the exact pay rate until the moment when the promotion was offered to me. During the thank you, I was distracted. What could I do after weeks of competition for the job, refuse the offer and ruin my rep and future promotional prospects? I am shocked at the manipulative operations of such a prestigious university. Beyond all of the legal reasons that they can do this, isn't it just plain wrong? When did our Universities, States, and employers lose their moral and ethical standards? I ask you, does the shop foreman make more than the CEO? Does a man have to quit his job to have someone stand up for blatant inequity and unfairness?