what is the longest life of heart bypass surgery patient?

after a successful heart bypass, how many years will a patient survive?

Best Answer

Prognosis following CABG depends on a variety of factors, but successful grafts typically last around 10–15 years. In general, CABG improves the chances of survival of patients who are at high risk (meaning those presenting with angina pain shown to be due to ischemic heart disease), but statistically after about 5 years the difference in survival rate between those who have had surgery and those treated by drug therapy diminishes. Age at the time of CABG is critical to the prognosis, younger patients with no complicating diseases have a high probability of greater longevity. The older patient can usually be expected to suffer further blockage of the coronary arteries.

This surgery does NOT prevent the coronary artery blockage from coming back. You can do many things to slow it down. Not smoking, eating a heart-healthy diet, getting regular exercise, and treating high blood pressure, high blood sugar (if you have diabetes), and high cholesterol will all help and are very important.

1

Source(s): Secret To Destroy Diabetes - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?eoVW

The current (2016) average survival time for patients aged 18 - 65 years is a fraction under 17.8 years, but this includes ALL patients, even those who die of other causes.or whose normal life expectancy was below this period.

The younger the patient the longer the survival time and vice-versa.

Once the patient has survived 20 years, the life expectancy is the same as for the the population as a whole.

For example, I am very happy to report that I have just passed the 38th anniversary of my by-pass surgery and, according to my cardiologist, my life expectancy is over 20 years.

By-pass patients are generally more health concious than the general population and they are aware of the symptoms of potentially lethal problems that most folk would not consider life-threatening. This is not to say that they worry all the time, but they are know what to look out for and can take immediate, appropriate action when things are not quite right. "It s just indigestion" is not something a by-pass patient is inclined to say.

Source(s): Personal experience
    • Bookham2 years agoReport

I am still here and pleased to report that I am now approaching the 40th anniversary.

Did your dad or mom ask you to fly in? Is this surgery life threatening--that her body may not hold up in surgery? If she has a good chance of getting through the surgery ok, then I would: 1. wait until after the surgery 2. wait until I can get better cost tickets and 3. after the sister who flew out has left because you dont all need to be there all at once, you and your other sister can delay visiting, you can visit a few days after your 1st sister leaves, then your 3rd sister who hasnt flown out yet to visit after you have left so that you all can take turns taking care of mom and give your dad time to relax to do his own stuff as well. Is he working? If he is, then your 1st sister will be there, let's say until next monday the 19th. you visit that next week on the 20th-27th and your other sister who hasnt flown out yet visit 28th-june 4th. I would let your dad, 1st sister and 3rd sister know that this is what you plan to do so there is no misunderstandings. Even though you have not been very close, if you think you should visit your mom and care for her, you should. You want to do the right thing now so you dont hold any feels of guilt later. The only reason not to visit is if they told you not to visit.

• Jacy

If the individual leads a healthy life-style they can live a normal/average life span after bypass surgery. I know of one individual personally who had a quadruple bypass over 30 years ago. It depends on the person's general/overall health, age and other factors.

If it's successful, then it shouldnt particularly limit their life.

My great uncle had tripe heart bypass 25 years ago (approx), and a fortnight later, he dug out a metric tonne of earth to build his basement, and he's still going at 80.

Mind you, he's pretty tough, survived throat cancer