Filing taxes for deceased parents?

My mom passed away Nov 17, 2009 & then my dad passed away just under 1 mo later on Dec 14. My younger sister is 17 & I am 25 and I have a twin sister. How would I go about filing taxes? My dad was disabled and only receiving SS benefits & my mom wasn't working at all for the majority of the year because she... show more My mom passed away Nov 17, 2009 & then my dad passed away just under 1 mo later on Dec 14. My younger sister is 17 & I am 25 and I have a twin sister. How would I go about filing taxes? My dad was disabled and only receiving SS benefits & my mom wasn't working at all for the majority of the year because she was too ill. There is no estate - they didn't own property and had very little debt that I financially cannot afford to pay. My sister was also getting SS benefits as part of my dad's benefits. I am now the guardian of my 17 yr old sister. Would I claim her as a dependent on my own taxes? Or as part of my parents taxes? They usually got money back after they filed. If that's what happens this time, would the IRS actually send the return to me or keep it? Also, what about survivor benefits? I didn't have much luck finding info on this specifically when both parents die in the same year & neither worked but instead got Social Security Disability benefits. Any advice or info would be helpful. Thanks!
3 answers 3