The very definition of Brain Washing...?

You remember the documentary about the guy who claimed he was the 2nd coming of christ and has sexual relations with a lot of the members... they interviewed one of the ladies who was sitting next to the same guy and asked her "Do you think you've been brainwashed?" She answered "I thought about... show more You remember the documentary about the guy who claimed he was the 2nd coming of christ and has sexual relations with a lot of the members... they interviewed one of the ladies who was sitting next to the same guy and asked her "Do you think you've been brainwashed?" She answered "I thought about that and said 'Yeah, I have been brain washed', he washed my brain clean of bad thoughts" (something like that)

I also hear people say "I hate religion, it's the worst thing to ever happen." But then they go on to say "That's why I follow Jesus Christ" - Um, anything with rules about how to live is a religion, esp. when it involves Heaven and Hell... Right?

How do they not see that they are brain washed?