Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

The very definition of Brain Washing...?

You remember the documentary about the guy who claimed he was the 2nd coming of christ and has sexual relations with a lot of the members... they interviewed one of the ladies who was sitting next to the same guy and asked her "Do you think you've been brainwashed?" She answered "I thought about that and said 'Yeah, I have been brain washed', he washed my brain clean of bad thoughts" (something like that)

I also hear people say "I hate religion, it's the worst thing to ever happen." But then they go on to say "That's why I follow Jesus Christ" - Um, anything with rules about how to live is a religion, esp. when it involves Heaven and Hell... Right?

How do they not see that they are brain washed?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

How do you know you haven't been brainwashed?

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The documentary you are talking about is called Inside A Cult. You can find more information here: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/insid...

Brainwashing uses subtle techniques that most of us are unaware of. Take for example the technique call conditioning. When I learned multiplication, I did so by memorizing multiplication tables: 1*1=1, 1*2=2, 1*3=3…. Constantly repeating the same series of numbers or words is a brainwashing technique that is used to place knowledge directly into long-term memory, bypassing short-term memory. All religions use the same technique. Take Christianity for example; visit a Sunday School class of children. They’re all singing “Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world…”. They all know the song without hesitation. The words of that song have been planted in their long term memory. They may not be old enough to know what the words mean, but the words are there nonetheless. Islam uses the very same technique. If you have ever seen the students in a Madrasah dīniyyah, you will notice them all reading their Qur’an, rocking back and forth in unison. It is the same technique whether it is used for math formula or religious stories.

People are usually not aware that they have been brainwashed, but brainwashed people are easy to spot. One classic sign of a brainwashed person is denial. Ask them if they are brainwashed and they will tell you that there is no possible way. Another easy way to tell if a person has been brainwashed is their use of suggestions that have been implanted during their brainwashing. For example, if someone recites: “The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.”, you can bet your bottom dollar that they have been brainwashed.

There are professional organizations that specialize in helping brainwashed people realize they have been brainwashed. These organizations are called exit counseling. Their success rate is high, but their biggest obstacle is to get the patient to come in for treatment. That’s the hardest part because brainwashed people are in self-denial – they deny that they have been brainwashed.

• 1 decade ago

What about you Ms. Awareness? You are making rules as you go with this question. There are some weird people out there but should we point out their faults. If we do, doesn't that make us like them? Only truth can take away brainwashing. Pointing it out only makes denial easier. Live truthfully everyday and they will see that in themselves something is wrong.

• 1 decade ago

because they dont realize that they have been brainwashed they think that they made the choice to change their way of thinking and thats the beauty of brainwashing. The subject has no idea that they are not making a conscious choice to change their way of thinking it is being done to them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Brain washing by evil humans and being educated by our Intelligent Designer are two different things. It takes one to have common sense to figure out what to believe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

that's the part of cults that are dangerous. People have to be weak-minded to be brainwashed. And the leader preys on the weak and feeble.

• Ericka
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Being "religious" is different than following Jesus Christ.

Jesus spoke to all people, He sat down with the sinners at the table, remember? He said something like this, "The sick need a doctor, but the well (healthy) do not."

• 1 decade ago

That's the beauty of brain washing. It's total control. If their preacher tells them their not brain washed then they believe him.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Each brain, body and soul is it's own little universe inside the biggest One.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because brain-washed people don't know when they've truly been brain-washed.

• 1 decade ago

If you can see that you've been brainwashed, you're not really brainwashed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.