Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Francisco · 1 decade ago

moving to San Francisco?

I currently reside in the San Fernando Valley. I am seriously considering moving to San Francisco within the next few months. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pros and cons about San Francisco. I have visited several times, and I fell in love with the city. I have done a bit of research, but I would really appreciate it if a local could help me out on this...I would like to know info such as schools (i have two children in elementary and I am a college student), transportation, safety, etc

Favorite Answer

San Francisco is the fourth most populous city in California and the 12th most populous city in the United States, with a 2008 estimated population of 808,976.The only consolidated city-county in California

The historic center of San Francisco is the northeast quadrant of the city bordered by Market Street to the south. It is here that the Financial District is centered, with Union Square, the principal shopping and hotel district, nearby. Cable cars carry riders up steep inclines to the summit of Nob Hill, once the home of the city's business tycoons, and down to Fisherman's Wharf, a tourist area featuring Dungeness crab from a still-active fishing industry. Also in this quadrant are Russian Hill, a residential neighborhood with the famously crooked Lombard Street, North Beach, the city's Little Italy, and Telegraph Hill, which features Coit Tower. Nearby is San Francisco's Chinatown, established in the 1860s. The Tenderloin is frequently described as the worst neighborhood in the city by tourist guides

Tourism is the backbone of the San Francisco economy. Its frequent portrayal in music, film, and popular culture has made the city and its landmarks recognizable worldwide

Colleges and universities

The Mission Bay campus of UCSF

The University of California, San Francisco is part of the University of California system but is solely dedicated to graduate education in health and biomedical sciences. It is ranked among the top-five medical schools in the United States and operates the UCSF Medical Center, ranked among the top 10 hospitals in the country UCSF is a major local employer, second in size only to the city and county government. A 43-acre Mission Bay campus was opened in 2003, complementing its original facility in Parnassus Heights. It contains research space and facilities to foster biotechnology and life sciences entrepreneurship and will double the size of UCSF's research enterprise. The University of California, Hastings College of the Law, founded in Civic Center in 1878, is the oldest law school in California and claims more judges on the state bench than any other institution.

San Francisco State University is part of the California State University system and is located near Lake Merced. The school has close to 30,000 students and awards undergraduate and master's degrees in more than 100 disciplines.The City College of San Francisco, with its main facility in the Ingleside district, is one of the largest two-year community colleges in the country. It has an enrollment of about 100,000 students and offers an extensive continuing education program.

Founded in 1855, the University of San Francisco, a private Jesuit university located on Lone Mountain, is the oldest institution of higher education in San Francisco and one of the oldest universities established west of the Mississippi River. Golden Gate University is a private, nonsectarian, coeducational university formed in 1901 and located in the Financial District. It is primarily a post-graduate institution focused on professional training in law and business, with smaller undergraduate programs linked to its graduate and professional schools.

With an enrollment of 13,000 students, Academy of Art University is the largest institute of art and design in the nation.Founded in 1871, the San Francisco Art Institute is the oldest art school west of the Mississippi.The San Francisco Conservatory of Music, the only independent school of music on the West Coast, grants degrees in orchestral instruments, chamber music, composition, and conducting. The California Culinary Academy, associated with the Le Cordon Bleu program, offers programs in the culinary arts, baking and pastry arts, and hospitality and restaurant management.

Primary and secondary schools

Public schools are run by the San Francisco Unified School District as well as the State Board of Education for some charter schools. Lowell High School, the oldest public high school in the U.S. west of the Mississippi,and the smaller School of the Arts High School are two of San Francisco's magnet schools at the secondary level. Just under 30% of the city's school-age population attends one of San Francisco's more than 100 private or parochial schools, compared to a 10% rate nationwide. Nearly 40 of those schools are Catholic schools managed by the Archdiocese of San Francisco.The largest private school in San Francisco, Cornerstone Academy, is a Christian school.

Do you have the money to pay for lease,utilities,factors,and payroll for a 300 and sixty 5 days or greater whilst the region gets on its ft? eating places seldom take off like a rocket, and it is often much greater sturdy for a small mom-and-pop operation. a wiser circulate must be to artwork in a veg eating place or cafe for a 300 and sixty 5 days just to get an thought as what you would be entering into. Signed: San Francisco community. Born and raised.

There is a big difference between living in S.F. proper and one of the suburbs in terms of weather, politics, transportation, cost, education, demographics. S.F. has urban atmosphere but it is a small city. I think L.A. is hipper and faster. S.F. proper is cool in summer, warm in autumn but other parts of bay area up to 50 miles away get hot in summer like the S.V. Valley where you are, except for cities close to the bay or ocean of course. The median price of a house in S.F. is $600,000 and like L.A. home prices keep rising. I would have to know where your school is to recommend a location and whether you want suburbs or the city. S.F. is a self-contained city unlike L.A. It is only 47 sq. mi. S.F. has most of what L.A. does but in smaller doses.

Source(s): Lived in L.A. 1960s, 1980s. Live near S.F. Went to school in S.F.
    • Dustbindiva
      5 years agoReport

I wanted to add that San Jose is more like L.A.

I live here in San Francisco.

it is expensive and parking is hard to find - con

great diversity - pro

As far as transportation go, SF has great transportation from underground trains to street trains that basically go all over the city. Very convience!

THere are however big neighbors.. stay away from them!

Wow, that's beautiful, I'm from Europe, but I love Cali :) Good luck, have fun x