Sean W asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

why does everyone ride fixed gear bikes now?

it seems like everyone rides fixed gear bikes now, and i was wondering why? wouldn't it be MORE of a pain to ride fixed gear because you can only ride one speed, and you have to sit the entire time too so you cant pick up a bunch of speed by standing up and pedaling.

• Nad _
    Favorite Answer

Because they are mindless trend whores. And a fixed gear is appealing because it is easy to operate and repair despite the fact that pop culture has completely mangled their minds.

I used to have a fixed gear back in the day, before this whole rage sparked off. It was an antique Frejus handed down from My great uncle raced them on velodromes in the 60's (ask these new kids what they know about velodromes) I could ride so fast on it despite the fixed gear. I found it to be a pain in the knees however, pedaling constantly. I rather have a single speed with a freewheel sporting some chrome 20"s with pegs, AKA a BMX bike!

Source(s): 15 years behind bars.

I don't have a clue to the popularity of fixed gear bike. I see no reason to ride a fixed gear bike unless you are training for velodrome racing or one speed events like the Little 500 at Indiana University. Fixed gear bikes are so limiting. Today's bicycles shift so well. I started riding true ten speeds back in 1980. Now the modern bicycle just shifts when you need with nothing more than a twitch of your wrist.

I tell this story often. Riding my tandem on a slight down hill with a screaming tail wind. We are topped out a 35 mph. Tandem is equipped with a 54/11 top gear. We pass a very strong rider pedaling furiously on a single speed bike running about 20 mph. We left him in the dust. On multi-speed bikes I never could hang on his wheel for long. Fixed gear bike limited his potential. It was cool passing him so quickly.

Again I will say I have no clue why people want to limit their potential on a fixed gear bike.

• Ellie

There are really two ways the word suicide is used when referring to fixed gear. Suicide setup refers to a fixed gear bike with no brakes being ridden on the road. many bike messengers use this setup in urban areas. Some consider it a macho thing but other like the simplicity of the bike. Some people call the front brake installed on a fixed gear bike the "suicide brake" because it prevents you from committing suicide in traffic.

its easy for me to ride a bmx bike ( fixed gear) and im 6ft tall 210lbs and i have a bad back. i dont have problems with riding these bikes i usally haul azz on them pretty easy and im always much faster then a friend on a multi speed bike. i use to ride multi speed bikes but they are a Bitc* to matain sericely i spend about 1k on a 500 dollar schwinn and i took pretty good care of it very little curb jumping or anything i still have problems with the fixed gear bikes but its usally just sumthin little. and not everyone rides fixed bikes most of the bikes i see are multi speed ones.

i would say everyone doesn;t

unless 'everyone'

doesn;t plan to ride in traffic

doesn;t want to ride more than about 5 miles

doesn;t ride up or down any hills

doesn;t really feel like stopping very fast

likes replacing tires worn out by skid stops

which still aren;t very fast stops

don;t worry about it

get a real bike

a 'gearie'

it;s ok to incorporate modern fashions

gears brakes and freewheels, have only been around since about 1905

wle.

They are simple low maintenance bikes. It might be ideal for where the live

• ?

Retro trending thing that will soon pass. Pretty dumb IMO.

why did people who drove luxury cars all start driving trucks, or suvs?

A bunch is not the problem, it is you