If God is Love & True Love is Unconditional, Then why are there so many rules in religion?

Growing up catholic, I was told to never question the word of god. Now that I'm grown up I have questions. Why so many rules in religion? I mean if god gave us free will, then why would he punish some of us for practicing what he freely gave us. How is it free will if there are conditions on it? It doesn't... show more Growing up catholic, I was told to never question the word of god. Now that I'm grown up I have questions. Why so many rules in religion? I mean if god gave us free will, then why would he punish some of us for practicing what he freely gave us. How is it free will if there are conditions on it? It doesn't make sense to me. The bible was written by man and supposedly inspired by god right? How do we know that what god said was interpreted correctly? I am not a disbeliever in god, just curious . Too many things don't make sense to me. I mean we pray to god for all kinds of things but, what happens if our prayers aren't answered? Some say that then it must not have been gods will. Well then if everything goes by gods will then why pray in the first place. Why is it that people make out god to be just like us with a personality? Sometimes the way god is presented in the bible makes him sound like someone with a major ego problem who needs people to worship him or else we all go to hell. Growing up I was told that I needed the fear of god put into me. I mean, who wants a god that you have to be afraid of? When I think of Jesus, I think of someone who tried to teach love and tolerance and the sad thing is that there is so much hate and violence between people and most of it in the name of god! I mean when I read Thou shall not kill, I don't remember seeing an asterisk next to it that said unless the other guy doesn't believe the way you do then you can hack his head off! So, I hope someone can see what I'm talking about and why religion is just too confusing for me. I think I'll just stick to keeping my relationship with god a personal one. I once heard of a scroll that was found by the cave of the dead sea scrolls that was authenticated and was thought to be the words of Jesus that said " The kingdom of God lives within you and all around you, not in buildings made of wood or stone, Lift a rock and you will find me, split a piece of wood and I am there. I really like that cause it means to me that god is where ever I am and is always reachable. I don't have to go to some church to hear someone else's interpretation of what god word is. See, too much confusion.