What type of professional camera should I get?

What type of camera should I get? I'm looking for a professional camera. I know nothing about photography, but would like to learn. I would preferably would like to buy a camera from best buy. A small one would be nice. One that takes really good pictures.

• Ara57
    Favorite Answer

You do not need a professional camera to begin learning, and in fact, I wouldn't advise you to get one. For one thing a professional level dSLR will cost thousands of dollars for the body alone and will be confusing and frustrating for a beginner. I think what you actually mean is you would like an entry level dSLR, one with manual settings and changeable lenses. Every camera company makes a fine one for beginners, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony all have good offerings. BB will probably only carry Nikon and Canon. Nikon's will be the D40 (discontinued), or the D3000 or D5000, Canon will be a version of the Rebel. Either will come with a "kit" lens, which will be fine for learning.

Here is my favorite site for beginners:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-pa...

The camera is only a tool. Almost any camera can "take a really good picture" in the right hands. Photography is not magic from the camera, like any skill it requires effort at learning the basics and practice to become proficient. So plan on putting a little work into this if you want to be any good. Otherwise, you may as well buy any decent point and shoot and let the camera do all the decision making.

Visit http://www.dpreview.com/ for in-depth reviews and camera tests on many different cameras. Photography is a fun and rewarding hobby that you can enjoy and grow with for a lifetime. Happy shooting with your new camera!

• Marie

A lot of professional cameras nevertheless have the function dial with the little picture of the mountain, and the flower, and the moon and the stars, while entry-level SLRs also have the P, A, S (or Tv on Canon) and M modes. Rich, dumb brats can afford "professional" cameras, so manufacturers make sure to put on those modes professionals never use. Conversely, some professional photographers can't afford top-of-the-line equipment. The Canon Digital Rebel is a frequent choice for the talented but cash-strapped young photographer. In a nutshell, I'd say get an SLR. From there, choose Canon or Nikon. It's possible to own both Canon and Nikon equipment (esp. if you can afford it), but if money's an issue, choose one brand or the other and stick with it for all your accessories.

you are funny... There is no such a camera small and professional grade. Best Buy don't have a real range of professional grade digital camera. There you may find a Canon 7D and maybe one or two L series Canon Lenses. Everything else there is consumers and maybe the so called pro-consumer which means somewhere in between consumers and professional. If you don't know to much about photography then buy a cheap Canon or Nikon DSLR and start learning about the art of photography. Whats the difference between a DSLR pro-consumer and a professional grade ? Well for instance the body of a DSLR or a lens professional grade its dust and moisture sealed ...

i would say lean towards nikon and cannon.

It all depends on how high you are willing to go money wise.

The expensive nikons and cannons are very good quality.

I have a nikon d3000 and i like it a lot.

It has a very clear picture. Im sure they have it at best buy.

Btw, just a picture taking tip, when you are taking a picture of something in particular, like a tree, or a building, animal, etc, you should mentally divide the picture into 9 equal squares.

At each corner of the middle square is the most attractive part of the picture.

If you are taking a pic of something very beautiful, the position of the camera can often take away from the beauty. This little tip i find very helpful.

If you want a good, professional camera, follow this link.

http://www.adorama.com/HSH3D239MSS.html?searchinfo...

but you'd be better served by this little camera, complete with it's guide features and everything. I'm sure you could get one of these from Best Buy. It takes really good pictures if pointed in the right direction.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000.htm

Have fun!

Check out nikon coolpix series and canon powershot series. It has something for every budget.

Have a look at nikon coolpix P90 and canon powershot G11

I use a Nikon d3000 and it's beyond amazing.