Access my home desktop from my laptop?

Desktop=HP Pavilion s3020n PC Laptop=Gateway NV5332U

i want to access all files/programs that i have on my home desktop from my new laptop. would there be a program i need to buy or something build in? im not a computer person... Thanks for the help.

Favorite Answer

Yes. Click on your start menu, go to Programs, Accessories, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This program will allow you to basically open your laptops screen in a window on your own computer and give your complete control over the other computer. For help setting this up, refer to someone you know that's experienced with computers and networking, as its hard to explain this via Yahoo! Answers.

If all that you require is something to move/alter files (i.e. if you don't need to actually see the laptops desktop) then all you need is to set up a simple network. If both you computers are Windows XP or newer, this is made very easy. Because you never mentioned the operating systems, I can't go into exact detail. But I'll give you a general idea, pick the closest options available.

Most computers and laptops come with a network adapters. The adapter is distinguishable by the RJ 45 port. The RJ 45 port looks similar to an RJ 11 port (which is a fancy name for a telephone jack,) except it's slightly wider. However, if you're like many people, this port may already be used for your internet. If this is the case, you may need to purchase an additional network card (can usually pick one of for $10-$20 at a used computers parts store.) When you have an open RJ 45 port, to set up a network is as easy as purchasing a "cross-over" cable from your local computer store.

Now that you have that, go to your desktop and open My Computer. Go to the drive or folder which contains the files that you wish to access on your laptop. Right click on it. Click Properties. Click the tab titled "Sharing." From here, click whatever you have to in order to share the file. In Windows XP, you check off the box that says, "Share the folder on the network" as well as the one that says "Allow network users to change my files." In Windows 7, you click "Advance Sharing," check off "Share this folder," click "Permissions," and check off, "Full Control." Those are the only two I can tell you off hand, but it's pretty straight work no matter the operating system. Just look through the options and make sure 1) you share it, and 2) you allow users to change files. Apply the settings.

Now you're ready to hook up. Plug one end of the cross-over cable into your laptops network card, and the other into your desktops network card. Due the following to both the desktop and laptop: Open "My Network Places" (this is what it's called in Windows XP.. name may vary with other systems. Some say "network neighborhood," some say "Network And Sharing Center." Usually this is on your desktop. If not, go to My Computer and in the sidebar, hopefully there will be something there. If all else fails ask someone experienced.) When you get there, click "Set up a home or small office network" (again, on XP, it may be call something else in other systems.) Follow the wizard. Make sure that you choose the same "Workgroup name" on the laptop and desktop.

When this is all complete, you may have to restart both computers and afterwards. Now, on your laptop, go into your network neighborhood, and the folders or drives that you shared should be there. I apologize for being so brief and generic, but you didn't specify operating systems. If you have more questions then you can just email me and if all else fails, we can use Remote Assistance and I can do it for you or IM you exactly what to do. Hope it works, peace

Yes it's possible to access your desktop from anywhere in the world but you need an internet connection..That is all..

You just go to www.teamviewer.com and download the team viewer software and you can start using this software to access your system present in your home..

Please mail me if you have any doubt..My ID is valiantvimal@gmail.com..

Source(s): www.teamviewer.com

Follow "Vimal" advice; http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Is free for personal use, secure and very easy to set up

and does't require a web browser, not sure of "logmein", the first time I've used it the access was made via web browser...

but I'm sticking whit TeamViewer..

use it myself every day....... good luck

Source(s): Experience
  • MB

Log Me In Hamachi has a free version for a Virtual Private Network (VPN).

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/

There are other products like Go To Meeting and Go To My PC, but they aren't free.

yes the bluetooth will do. check the settings and theres nothing to buy. try to explore a bit. everythings there

Try logmein it works logmein.com