Wouldn't the "ultra-sound before abortion" law help women to make a more informed decision?

I fail to understand why there are so many people opposed to passing this law. Wouldn't it help the woman make a much more informed decision? Why are so many people afraid that this law may be passed?

It was almost passed in my state, but everyone went ballistic and did away with it.

Update:

I never said anything about "banning abortion" or intimidation, I believe that women should know what they are doing in case they regret it later. If she looks at the ultra-sound and goes through with the abortion, then at least she made an informed decision.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think people are objecting to allowing women to make an informed decision, they're objecting to the government interference in her decision. Yes, it is probably for the best she see the ultrasound before the abortion, but it shouldn't be mandatory or forced on her. It is up to her to be informed before making her decision, the government can't enforce this. You could argue the same that there be government programs to educate all individuals before undergoing any surgery, but the cost would be astronomical and the logistics impossible. You also have to consider that the untrained individual really isn't getting informed about anything when they see an ultrasound because they can't tell the butt from the head. Also, given that most abortions occur during an embryonic state when the embryo is just a fraction of an inch in size and doesn't resemble anything human, she's not seeing much at all.

The issue really comes down to freedom of choice and freedom from government interference. If a woman wants to see the ultrasound she can ask to see it. If she chooses to be misinformed, ignorant or just doesn't want to see it, that is her choice to make.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is like passing a law that any criminal condemned to death has to have a complete physical examination on the morning of his execution. 8^)

This is aside from whether or not abortions should be legal. If a girl can get an abortion, I mean if it's allowed by law, then we ought to assume that by the time she shows up for her operation she has thought the matter out and made a choice that is hers alone to make. It's phony to throw artificial roadblocks in her path.

The Republicans have been promising to ban abortion for about 30 years now, but they've never even really tried. My view is that they are only exploiting the issue for political purposes, and if they actually did ban abortion (1) they would find it was actually a very unpopular move and (2) they would lose a big issue that gives them control over Christians. So they've strung out the issue for 30 years for maximum political mileage. Instead of banning abortion they wrote a law against an extremely rare form of late term abortion, a law deliberately written so vaguely that it was immediately struck down in the courts. And other, smaller 'roadblock' laws that just make abortion a little more trouble, like this one.

• 4 years ago

You won't see a human form with the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. It will look like malformed kidney bean. That won't stop a woman from having an abortion if she really wants one.

• 1 decade ago

hmm lets explore that for a second.. people dont EVER want to face their decisions do they? if they're making a decision that they deem better for both the parent and the child and its abortion.. would they want to see the developing child inside of them.. remember bortions must me made when the zygote takes a human like form.. and then it becomes a question of morales not law.. and i believe morales and law should NEVER be mixed for the simple fact that everyone thinks differently.. passing a law forcing the parents to look into the eyes of the life they want to take is entrapment for one.. and for two what if the can't afford the child? Then how will that child develop? he/she might turn to crime and or prostitution to make a living.. so if your state has the same thought process as me this could very well be the reason.. and not to mention you cant force an unnecesary "operation" upon any patient....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

People don't always want to know all the facts when it comes to having an abortion..due to emotional issues and more..but there are many agencies that provide pregnancy services, that will provide the opportunity for a women who is pregnant to see through the use of ultra-sound..what the a baby looks like before they would consider abortion..these agencies support and provide many good services for a women who decides to keep their baby..most of these agencies are Christian faith based agencies..God loves babies!

• 1 decade ago

It is just another tactic to control a woman's choice. No medical procedure should be forced on anyone who does not want it.

• 1 decade ago

No it would not. It is just an intimidation tactic. You really believe women do not already agonize over their decision to have an abortion--*

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes she should be forced to see the baby that she will be murdering!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They don't want to make informed decisions they just want to live life without consequences. If they see the baby it's almost like they're murdering someone. I think it's almost like plausible deniability.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.