Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 1 decade ago

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say humpty dumpty is an egg?

I don't get it...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Indeed the rhyme

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.

All the king's horses and all the king's men

Couldn't put Humpty together again....does not tell us at all that Humpty was an egg. However it's etymology has a number of variations, and it was in Lewis Carroll's 1871 book "Through the Looking Glass" (that used this rhyme), where the book's illustrator John Tenniel first drew Humpty as an egg, sitting on a wall.

An 1810 version of the rhyme also does not explicitly state that the subject is an egg because it was originally posed as the riddle as such:

Humpty Dumpty sate on a wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;

Threescore men and threescore more,

Cannot place Humpty dumpty as he was before.

Furthermore, "humpty dumpty" was an eighteenth-century reduplicative (linguistic root) slang for a short and clumsy person.

Look at my link for just one of Mr. Tenniel's illustrations.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • zachar
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Is Humpty Dumpty An Egg

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It doesn't say Humpty Dumpty was an egg at all. Nor was the verse from any bona fide nursery rhyme. It was originally a British political cartoon from somewhere in the mid to latter 1800's & the dig being that the politician had been cartooned as an egg -- as in "Egghead" -- someone with an inflated ego & assumed intellect but who really didn't have any grasp whatsoever about the economics of that time (nor the socioeconomics). Wish I could give you more accurate information but I'm just recalling vague memories from a Civilizations course I took many years ago.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say humpty dumpty is an egg?

I don't get it...

Source(s): nursery rhyme humpty dumpty egg: https://shortly.im/z3UgF
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

eggs

• 1 decade ago

The nursery rhyme is a riddle - so HD is not described - you are supposed to figure it out.

Carroll (Dodgson) used the character in his book - by that time the answer was well known to be an egg.

Source(s): retired math teacher
  • 1 decade ago

lewis carroll called him an egg.

actually, alice said .."you look like an egg"

`And how exactly like an egg he is!' she said aloud, standing with her hands ready to catch him, for she was every moment expecting him to fall.

`It's very provoking,' Humpty Dumpty said after a long silence, looking away from Alice as he spoke, `to be called an egg -- very!'

`I said you looked like an egg, Sir,' Alice gently explained. `And some eggs are very pretty, you know,' she added, hoping to turn her remark into a sort of compliment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.