What College is best for me?

Well I was looking at USC,UCLA and Chapman University and dont know which one..

I want to be an actress and i know its very difficult.

I live in Oklahoma and I am planning to move to California.

I am also a Sophomore at high school so I have a long way to go.

But I figure I need a plan and whatnot.

USC AND UCLA is a vvverrryyyy expensive college and plus I live out of state so it will be more expensive. Unless I get a scholarships. I dont know what college that are good for me. && I DONT want to do THEATRE acting I want to ACT in MOVIES,SHOWS,AND ETC. Cause I think theatre isnt my thing, I enjoy doing screen acting muuuchhhhh better. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

DON'T LISTEN TO NAPIZAM! NYFA is a JOKE for acting! Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio did NOT study there! NYFA is EXPENSIVE AND A WASTE OF MONEY!

USC and Chapman are the most expensive because their private schools.

UCLA is cheaper because it's a public UC school.

Another AFFORDABLE college choice is CSUF. They have a great acting program and is MUCH cheaper than USC, Chapman, and UCLA.

Do you need a BFA/MFA degree to act? Nope. Will it help? maybe...

I majored in both business and music in college. The business degree was my best decision for many reasons. Because of it I have been more successful than my colleagues who have either started the same time as I did or have been doing this much longer. Thanks to my business degree, I have been able to successfully market myself, network effectively, be more professional, avoid scams, know tax loopholes/write offs, etc. It has also helped me produce multiple streams of income so I can pursue acting because I enjoy it and NOT as a source of income.

This is called show BUSINESS, not show-screwing around.

Also, I believe college is about experiencing as much as you can. Audit as many classes outside of your major and get involved with campus activities. Part of acting is living the life. Get a rich college experience so you have a good story to tell through your experiences.

My beef is with year+ institutions like AADA and BFA/MFA programs is this. I believe in being more diverse in my training. The year+ programs can sometimes be like factories where they churn out actors who are taught pretty much the same thing through a structured curriculum. What might work for one person, will NOT work for a different person.

Also, a lot of the conservatories and BFA/MFA programs have strict policies such as NOT being able to audition outside of their school or study at other places simultaneously. I think this is limiting to the actor. The actor should have the freedom to audition for outside projects and add to the current curriculum.

Non Collegiate Acting Classes:

In LA:

Cold Reading/Auditioning (Ranked from Top to Bottom)

-Margie Haber

-Brian Reise

-Amy Lyndon

Commercials

-Hey, I Saw Your Commercial!

-Chris Game

-Stuart K. Robinson

-Stuart Stone

-Killian McHugh

-Francine Selkirk-Akerman

-Carolyne Barry

Improv (All four are great)

-Groundlings

-Second City

-Upright Citizens Brigade

-Improv Olympic

Scene Study/Acting (It varies. Some schools are not for everyone. Chubbuck, Eric Morris, and Howard Fine are not for people who aren't fans of Strasberg or Uta Hagen (ie. affective memory and substitution.) Playhouse West, Joanne Baron/DW Brown, and Acting Corps are more Meisner oriented. Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not.

-Doug Warhit

-Kimberly Jentzen

-Beverly Hills Playhouse

-Howard Fine

-Stella Adler

-Ivanna Chubbuck

-Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown

-Tom Todoroff

-Playhouse West

-Aaron Speiser

-Acting Corps

-Eric Morris

Comedy:

-Scott Sedita

-Lesly Kahn

Source(s): LA Actor giving you the REAL DEAL!

If you are remotely serious about being an actor, the New York Film Academy is definitely the college for you. Many, many famous actors today started out there, such as Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brittany Murphy, etc. If you are interested in making any money with acting, it is your best chance by far.

After you graduate, they hook you up with an agent who gets you in somewhere. Guarantee. The training is rigorous and is only for the people who actually want to make it in the acting business. If that is you...then it is definitely the college for you.

It is one of the top theater colleges in America and it's graduates have been ranked as making 20 percent more money than any other theater college, on average!

It's prices are not bad either!