Prof L
Lv 6
Prof L asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Stovetop versus microwave sponge toffee recipe?

I think that I would rather go the microwave route, but it is supposed to be a present for my mom so I want to make sure it will come out okay. It seems just like a different way to heat the ingredients and that the texture and taste should be the same, is this the case, or can they be told apart by look or taste?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Microwave Sponge Toffee

1 cup of sugar

1 cup dark corn syrup

1 tbsp vinegar

1 tbsp baking soda

Instructions

Combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar in a large mixing bowl or casserole (2 quart size).

Cook, uncovered on full power 3 minutes. stir well.

Continue cooking on full power 6-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and is 300 degrees.

Remove from heat and quickly stir in baking soda until frothy.

Pour into a butter pan and let harden, then break into pieces.

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Stove top Sponge Toffee

One of the treats I like to make for the Christmas season reminds me of growing up. Sponge toffee. Crunchy, sweet, sticky after awhile. It's heaven. This recipe is fairly simple to make but Be Careful. If you don't use a pan big enough, the mixture can and will bubble over creating an awful mess that is almost impossible to clean off a stove top. I speak from experience.

INGREDIENTS

* Olive oil, to coat the pan

* 2 1/2 Cups granulated sugar

* 2/3 Cup light corn syrup

* 6 Tbsp. water

* 2 Tbsp. baking soda

* 2 teaspoons vanilla

Liberally coat a 10-inch round spring form cake pan with olive oil. At this point, if you want to be on the safe side, line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper. Make sure you coat them well with olive oil as you did with the pan.

In a deep medium saucepan add sugar, corn syrup, water, and vanilla. Over medium-high heat bring the mixture to a boil (without stirring) and cook until hard crack stage (until temperature reads 300 degrees F. on a candy thermometer). This should take about 10 minutes. During the cooking process, if there are any sugar crystals on the sides of the pan, brush the sides of the pan with a clean pastry brush dipped in water.

Remove the sugar mixture from the heat. Working quickly, add the baking soda and whisk to incorporate the soda into the sugar mixture, about 5 seconds. Note the mixture will bubble up when you add the baking soda so be very careful not to touch the hot toffee. Immediately pour the hot toffee into the prepared pan. Let cool and set completely before touching. Break into pieces and serve. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lobos
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Microwave Toffee

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Tom's Toffee Ingredients 1/2 lb unsalted butter 1 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped 1/3 cup chocolate chips, bittersweet, dark, or semi-sweet Method Combine first 3 ingredients and boil, stirring constantly until it thickens and looks like a brown paper bag. Pour on greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Let melt and spread smooth over the mixture. Let cool and harden. Break into pieces.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.