marines recruiter ask me about religion?

i called the US Marines recruiter today and he asked me a lot of questions. One of them was "what is your religion" i said "none" so he asked me really you don't believe? i said no i am an atheist. and he was surprise he was like "oh.......well.....ok....." i dont mind the question but why he was so surprise?

I felt really uncomfortably.

• TomB
    Best Answer

Because he didn't want you backing out of the deal at the last minute or down the road by claiming to be a conscientious objector. By being a marine it is expected that at some point you may be placed in a position to "kill or be killed". Also as stated above your religious preference is put on your dog tags for last rites purposes in the event that "the other guy" is a better shot than you.

• Arlene

No, you shouldn't be worried. The religion preference is on the Prospect/Applicant Card. The Marines do not judge people on their religion. Every person that is talked to is asked that question. That PAC card is then turned in to the command. If the person joins it will be the religion that shows on their dog tags. Don't worry about it. It's a mandatory question.

yea when I was forced to talk to a chaplian in the military the chaplain was like "so you don;t see that God made all this stuff? The beautifull sunsets ect."You know there ar religious soldiers and you will run into wiccans and gays in the military as well, when a chaplain gives a prayer do not walk away but you are allowed to keep your eyes open, I am now christian, but this is what you will run into when you are atheist, not all soldiers go to strip clubs, some are religious.

It was a normal question that cannot be used against you, just a status question. When you hit the Combat Zone the only one who watches over you is Christ you will learn I have been to Hell and Back 1974-2001 still going strong you meet your maker...find your soul..As I Enter the Valley and the Shadow of Death guides me in heaven the light glows ever so gently, in hell it burns ever so bright since its fulfillment of souls burn for entirety no one sleeps from the constant weep of pain of forgotten souls who wished and found out this was not what they wanted at all at that point they were at the point of no return..there is no going back once you are there....that was written on a death card we found in Nam..God was his maker the Devil is his new boss

Because it's the US. In God We Trust. One nation under God. Etc.

Maybe to an American, America doesn't seem all that religious, but the USA certainly has a higher ratio of comitted church/mosque/synagogue/bondage-dungeon goers than, say, northern or central Europe, so you're bound, every now and then, to run into someone who fervently believes, and who doesn't understand how anyone can be atheist, just as many atheists have trouble understanding how anyone can believe....

He just needed to know what to put on your tag

Your tag will say no preference

That way the Chaplain knows not to give you any last rights when they find you on the battlefield

The recruiter should just stick to asking the questions on the list.

You don't believe in God?? Whaaaaaaat???

You poor thing.

Have fun in Hell.

Have you ever heard the saying that goes something like this:

"There are no Atheists in foxholes"

in respose to CGbaker, your religious backgrounds are questions that recruiters are REQUIRED to ask all recruits.

They ask because it goes on your dog tags. I said no preference and thats what's on my dog tags.