Hello Love:) asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Who's happy with the Halladay, Lee trade? What's your opinion?

I'm Mad!

• BB JR
    Favorite Answer

Good trade

For the jays,they get youngsters that will help them develop for a great future in the industry

Phillies,of course it pains from them to give away lee,but i guess they like halladay better

Mariners,they are going to have a leader in there rotation,and with there busy off-season they can probably compete with the Angels in the AL West

Can't forget that the Athletics were a part of this also

Source(s): BB JR

This was a poor move for the Phillies, a good move for the Mariners, and a decent move for Toronto.

The Phillies traded away prospects AND Cliff Lee. Halladay is only marginally better than Cliff Lee; the Phillies were probably just attracted to his big name. They've performed about equally the past two seasons, and Lee is a cheaper, younger option. Advanced metrics such as FIP (basically ERA that takes defense out of the equation) and WAR (wins above replacement) show that both have similar skill and value. The Phillies did manage to nab a couple of prospects in the deal as well, but the ones they gave away far exceeded the value of the ones they netted back. Kyle Drabek, their top pitching prospect, was traded away to Toronto, along with basically the rest of their high level prospects; the Mariners gave up only a couple of mediocre players.

The Mariners got what they needed- another strong, starting pitcher. Paired along with King Felix, the front of the Mariners rotation would be difficult to beat. The price they paid for Lee was not high at all, and Lee is only set to make $9 million next season. Jack Zduriencik is looking like a genius this offseason, picking up Lee and dumping Silva's contract for examples.

Toronto did what they needed to do- trade Halladay and get some solid prospects in return. Halladay imposed his own trading deadline for Toronto, and if they did not meet it, they would only have received two supplemental draft picks in return (via free agent compensation).

Source(s): basically fangraphs.com for fip/war

This was a good trade for all 3 teams. Seattle got their ace that they needed for a run, Philly got Halladay, an A- to B+ prospect and 2 more B to B- prospects and the Jays got 2 A- to A prospects and another B+ prospect. Seattle also has a great chance for a post-season birth and better yet a ring, Philly gets a great ace (Toronto fan speaking here) who works hard every game and Toronto builds a great core and may even see a run for the post-season in 2012. The Jays are probably the most underrated team in the league now without Halladay. Great trade for all 3 teams.

• JimBob

I'm puzzled by the trade...

giving up a great pitcher to get a great pitcher? Granted Halladay is supposed to be better but why make that move? I'm not knowledgable enough of all the prospects dealt to understand the trade.

im happy with it cuz with lee out and halladay in instead of both lee and halladay which could have easily been done it makes them so much less of a contender and it gives my team a better chance at back to back WS BABAY

I am Mad/Happy, you could say confused.

I will miss Halladay, he will always be a Blue Jay to me.

But he was leaving after 2010, so it was the right move to get what we have gotten. Smart move, but I just can't accept it.

The Mariners get a great pitcher to go along with King Feliz and the Phillies get arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now. I'd call it a pretty good move by both teams.

Good trade for me, but i'm mad right now how the Mariners just got rid of Brandon Morrow :(

Mariners are very happy.

Phillies are happy.

Toronto is in Canada. That's the nicest thing I can think to say about the Blue Jays after this deal.

Mariners fans are nutting their pants

Phillies fans have been drunk and printing "2010 World Series Champion" T-shirts since the news arrived.

Toronto could care less.