state to state teacher certification?

i was wondering how teacher certification varies from state to state.

im graduating from high school in virginia and plan on going to college in pennsylvania. once i graduate from a 5 year program in pa i will be a pennsylvania certified teacher... how do i transfer that to my home state of virginia so i can teach in a school closer to home?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • J-Dawn
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I pulled this from the Virginia State Dept of Education web site:

II. Reciprocity - Conditions for licensure for out-of-state candidates by reciprocity.

A. An individual coming into Virginia from any state may qualify for a Virginia teaching license with comparable endorsement areas if the individual has completed a state-approved teacher preparation program through a regionally accredited four-year college or university, or if the individual holds a valid out-ofstate teaching license (full credential without deficiencies ) that must be in force at the time the application for a Virginia license is made. An individual seeking licensure must establish a file in the Department of Education by submitting a complete application packet, which includes official student transcripts. Professional teacher's assessments prescribed by the Board of Education must be satisfied.

B. An individual coming into Virginia will qualify for a Virginia teaching license with comparable endorsement areas if the individual holds national certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) or a nationally recognized certification program approved by the Board of Education.

C. Licensure by reciprocity is provided for individuals who have obtained a valid out-of-state license (full credential without deficiencies) that is in force at the time the application for a Virginia license is received by the Department of Education. The individual must establish a file in the Department of Education by submitting a complete application packet, which shall include official student transcripts.

Unless exempted by the criteria in subsection D of this section, licensure assessments prescribed by the Board of Education shall be required.

D. Individuals who hold a valid out-of-state license (full credential without deficiencies) and who have completed a minimum of three years of full-time, successful teaching experience in a public or accredited nonpublic school (kindergarten through grade 12) in a state other than Virginia are exempted from the professional teacher’s assessment requirements.

According to The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC), Pennsylvania and Virginia have an interstate agreement.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.