Will my propane furnace still work during a power outage?

Just wondering...everything I read online says propane furnaces still work during a power outage. BUT, aren't the fan & thermostat electrically operated? The power went out for a few seconds about an hour ago while the heat was on, and I definitely heard the fan shut off. I am not so sure about the... show more Just wondering...everything I read online says propane furnaces still work during a power outage.

BUT, aren't the fan & thermostat electrically operated? The power went out for a few seconds about an hour ago while the heat was on, and I definitely heard the fan shut off.

I am not so sure about the thermostat- IS it electric? It's pretty old....as is my furnace...the house was built in the 60's and I wouldn't be too suprised if the furnace is original to the house. If it's not the original furnace, it's at least 20 years old I'd guess. It has a manual pilot light, not one of those electric things, and there are no switches on the thermostat, just a big dial that you turn to the temp you want.

If the fan & thermostat are electric, then how does it manage to heat my house if the power goes out? I would imagine the propane would stay burning in the furnace in the basement, but how does the heat get pushed to the vents and into the house? And without a thermostat, how does the furnace "know" when to turn off & on?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question- I am a Florida native who grew up with electric central air/heat pumps, and I now live in rural South Dakota and we are gearing up for what may be the worst blizzard since 1968. I have only lived in SD for 3 years, and this is my first year being extremely rural. The power lines around here are already coated in an icy frost so I am anticipating the power going out when the wind kicks up. If the power goes out we can count on it being out for a few days, at least.

I just want to determine whether or not I can count on having heat, or if I need to break out the extra blankets & cuddle up with the dogs. Thanks for any help :)
Update: Thanks for all the answers, makes sense to me! All the websites I looked at that touted the benefits of propane vs. electric heat say "you won't be at the mercy of power outages" with propane. Guess that's BS? And Greek....oopsie? :D I got home late & my phone was dead, I put it on to... show more Thanks for all the answers, makes sense to me! All the websites I looked at that touted the benefits of propane vs. electric heat say "you won't be at the mercy of power outages" with propane. Guess that's BS?

And Greek....oopsie? :D I got home late & my phone was dead, I put it on to charge and forgot all about it. Forgive me? You know I love you :)