Why are atheists hated in today's society?

I was raised christian but I never believed the bible, so I began to question myself about gods existence, and eventually, after reading debates, and blogs about it online, I came to the conclusion that there is no god. Now I'm not a religion hater, I personally don't care if somebody is christian or not,... show more I was raised christian but I never believed the bible, so I began to question myself about gods existence, and eventually, after reading debates, and blogs about it online, I came to the conclusion that there is no god. Now I'm not a religion hater, I personally don't care if somebody is christian or not, but I just choose to not believe in god, let me get to the point. So lately I openly said in class during an argument about god that I was an atheist, and everyone around me gave me the stink eye, and and now they(classmates) usually bring up god in conversations and attempt to persaude me into changing my religious views. I don't understand why they just can't accept the fact I don't believe in god.
30 answers 30