If pasteurized grocery store orange juice gives us vitamin C, am I wrong that heat destroys vitamin C?

All grocery store orange juice I've ever seen is pasteurized.

Favorite Answer

It does, but pasteurization only requires a temperature of 170 degrees - and the liquid is flowed over the heating elements in a very wide but thin stream, so that it does not remain at that temperature for more than a few minutes - then it is immediately cooled. That process effectively kills potentially harmful bacteria but destroys minimal vitamin C.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004j.html

According to this article, heat does indeed destroy Vitamin C but not all of it and the higher the heat, the more destruction.

If heat destroyed it all, then canned tomatoes, cooked potatoes and cabbage would not be a good source of it, which they all are.

I would also say that the pasturizing temperatures are not so high so maybe not much is destroyed then.

Thats probably why most doctors reccomend you eat the fruit, not drink the juice.

sometimes citric absorbic acid is added