What does it take to become a Japanese foreign exchange student:?

I am currently in my Senior year of high school in America. I have always had an interest in the Japanese culture and have always wanted to go there since I was a child. I am currently studying the language on my own but graduate this year and wanted to know what it takes to get there. I am doing well with my grades besides my trigonometry class they are all A's and B's. I was wondering if it would be possible to if when I graduated extend my high school education by one year as a foreign exchange student over there. I have no idea of how to go about this or who to contact for information. I've looked into other types of programs through colleges but I've really been thinking that I've wanted to try college over there since they supposedly have a higher stricter education system than America. Would this be possible?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    A desire to learn a very difficult language, the ability to withstand being stared at and having people exclaim "foreigner!!" when they see you, a great deal of independance, the strength to take the culture shock... and make sure it's really Japanese culture you are interested, not manga/cuteness (this might seem really obvious but I think a LOT of people have this idea that Japan is just cute and full of adorable people and so kawaiiiii, and if you were to go on exchange expecting that, you would have an especially hard time with culture shock).

    You are thinking about this very late and some programs, like Rotary, had deadlines back in October or Novemer for the 2010/2011 school year. A gap year is certainly doable if you were to quickly find an exchange program. Google and ask around, there are many out there. AFS and YFU come to mind, but I don't know when their deadlines are/were.

    As for uni there -- take things one step at a time. Hard to do university in a language you don't speak, for example.

  • Belie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    You would not be able to study abroad as a high schooler in Japan. Once you graduate from the American high school system you are no longer a high schooler and all Japanese foreign exchange programs I have seen for high schoolers have an age limit that you cannot be older than 17.5 before going to Japan. You will need to start college and enter a study abroad program as a college student instead.

    Japan's college education is not strict or difficult compared to American colleges. American colleges are, overall, much more challenging than Japanese and students who are serious about their studies study abroad in America for exactly that reason. Perhaps you have confused Japanese high schools with American high schools. Japanese high schools are very difficult compared to Americans, but the difficulties completely swap places in college.

    Outside of studying in English-only schools (of which there are very few) no Japanese college would accept you because you would be incapable of any sort of proper, college-level language comprehension. You would do better to go to college in the USA, take Japanese classes, and then study abroad for a year.

    Source(s): Japanese major in sixth year of language study. I have been to Japan once as a high schooler and plan to return next fall for study abroad.
  • 1 decade ago


    konichiwa well teachers might help you with this ask them

    extending you high school education for one year to be a foregin exchange student?? that can be possible

    these are some good programs

    look at the web page for Council On Standards For International Educational Travel (CSIET) at www.csiet.org to get a list. a few to consider are Rotary: www.rotary.org, YFU: www.yfu-usa.org and AFS: www.usa.afs.org

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.