Why did Jesus teach that the kingdom of Heaven and the stock market are alike?

The one with 5 got 5 more. The one with 2 got 2 more. The one who didn't invest at all was punished. Jesus is telling us that we must aim to get 100% return for our money or else we'll be punished with poverty. The only way to do that is with the stock market. Jesus says that investing in the Stock Market is like the kingdom of Heaven? If so, we should all invest in the stock market.

I say, "Let's put our money aside for a moment and just be decent to one another. But Jesus says to always be investing and getting 100% return?

Parable of the Three Servants

14 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. 15 He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip.

16 “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. 17 The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. 18 But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.

19 “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. 20 The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’

21 “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

22 “The servant who had received the two bags of silver came forward and said, ‘Master, you gave me two bags of silver to invest, and I have earned two more.’

23 “The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

24 “Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. 25 I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’

26 “But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! If you knew I harvested crops I didn’t plant and gathered crops I didn’t cultivate, 27 why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.’

28 “Then he ordered, ‘Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one with the ten bags of silver. 29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. 30 Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Favorite Answer

In Aramaic, the idiom used to describe sin had economic implications. There was no way to talk about sin except through the metaphor of debt. The way in which we talk about something obviously affects how we understand that thing, therefore, in Jesus' time, the idea of sin was inseparable from the idea of an economy, or of debt. It makes sense, then, that many of his teachings equate the two.

Source(s): Sin: A History, Gary A. Anderson
  • Johnny

This is not a stock market. It is very simple. You should not sit idle and be lazy. You need to work hard, to improve your talents and skills. Even the knowledge will increase only when we share and earn through hard work. See what some people are doing. They have talent but they never use it for the benefit of the society. That means you are keeping your talent under the earth like the servant who received only one talent. Go work hard and increase and improve over all your talents money etc.

This parable doesn't really refer to money per se.

Jesus was using money as a metaphor. It is more about using your talents, gifts, skills basically what God gave you to improve and give to others thereby improving and advancing in society on earth and as well as your own spiritual advancement.

Money is a construct of man...a thousand years from now money may not even exist anymore.

But basicall, many people take this parable literally and its ok if you use money to multiply it so that you can help your family and others (philanthropy).

But he was talking about spiritual gifts, intellectual gifts, physical gifts etc.

• I've always wondered this, but I'm sure someone can come along and tell you what this parable means.