Are you talking about Salernes in the Var department ?
I can't give you any idea of fine restaurants, but I can suggest some nice natural places to see (I love nature ! ^^).
- the Verdon Grand Canyon : impressive gorge that is ONE of the deepest and longest in Europe (but not THE deepest nor THE longest). In any case, it's beautiful : the fauna and the flora are very rich ;
- the Maures massif : beautiful wild and lush big hills behind the coast ;
===> These two sites are perfect for hiking (in particular the Verdon gorge), but be aware that it can be very hot and dry in the sun in summer, so bring water ! Also, some parts will be forbidden to access due to forest fire risks in that season (mid-June to mid-September).
- the Maures plaine : magnificent wild area that shows barren landscapes with shrubs, splendid stone pines (or 'umbrella pines'). This place has a little feeling of African savanna ;
- the Hyères islands (Porquerolles, Port-Cros and Levant island) : fabulous wild islands (cars are not allowed) with beautiful beaches. Port-Cros is a National Park in where you can practice scuba diving and underwater diving to see marvellous fishes and flora, posidonia for example - typical of the warm Mediterranean sea, but a threatened species).
There are many more natural sites, but that what came in mind now. :)
Otherwise, you have the cities of Hyères-les-Palmiers and its numerous and various palm trees, Bormes-les-Mimosas, Cavalaire-sur-Mer and its beaches, Saint-Tropez of course, etc.
You also have the incredibly beautiful gardens of Le Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer...
Voilà, voilà ! ;) ^^
I'm from Cavalaire-sur-Mer, Var. There are beautiful fine sandy beaches there, unlike the French Riviera and the Italian Riviera, where beaches are mostly pebble beaches - ouch ! ;)
Look at these websites :
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdon_Gorge ;
- http://www.patmo.net/maures.php (only pictures) ;
- http://www.portcrosparcnational.fr/accueil/ (French language) ;
- http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/var/portcros/portcros.htm (in English).
· 10 years ago