Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

R&P: What's your opinion on posers?

Might be a strange question, but I was browsing through old questions looking for new bands to listen to and I saw that a lot of people had asked questions like "Do you know any bands like..." and when the person asked for a band like Paramore, Fall Out Boy, or any other bands that usually get "bashed" on here, I saw that a good number of people automatically said "You're a poser" and left it at that.

I want to know how everyone else feels about this. Do you automatically assume that a person is a 'poser' when they say they like a certain band? Is it absolutely *impossible* for a person to truly like a band that you may consider to be "popular-but-untalented"?

BQ: What song do you like that everyone else dislikes?

BQ2: What band/artist do you like that everyone else dislikes?

BQ3: Name a song where you hated the original, but loved another band's cover.

BQ4: What are you getting Tiger Woods for Christmas?

And Yahoo's Suggested Categories:

# Society & Culture > Cultures & Groups > Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered

# Society & Culture > Cultures & Groups > General - Cultures & Groups

# Entertainment & Music > Polls & Surveys

# Sports > Wrestling

# Arts & Humanities > Philosophy

14 Answers

Relevance
  • sylvia
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I don't think liking a band makes you a poser. If you like something, you like it! It's different if you pretend to like something just to fit in. It's definitely not impossible to like a band that someone else considers to be popular-but-untalented. That's why there's so many genres of music!!

On a related note, I sometimes like to put the shoe on the other foot and look at the people who are calling others "posers." It's like they have to justify their own "real fan" status by bashing someone else's taste in music, or by how long someone else has liked a band. (You know - the "I-didn't-just-jump-on-the-bandwagon" people? Gah!)

The way I see it, bands don't sign to labels to remain in relative obscurity. It's a business, and they're working hard to sell records, concert tickets and to make a name for themselves. Success in the industry (mainstream, indie, whatever) doesn't compromise that. It bothers me when bands get knocked because they're successful. They didn't sell out, they got famous. (Selling out to me, is allowing your songs to be rewritten for a commerical jingle - lol!)

• 4 years ago

I think a poser is someone who does something someone else invented. It doesn't include sports. An example would be that guy who did triller after Michael Jackson died. He's a poser.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You aren't a poser because you like a band. But I find it annoying when people ask stuff like, "What are some good punk bands like Fall Out Boy and Paramore?". I'm sure most of us will agree that those bands AREN'T punk, so when someone includes these bands in the punk genre, the fans of real punk are probably pissed.

BA2: Beastie Boys, The White Stripes

BA3: Jolene- The White Stripes

BA4: A punch in the face.

• 1 decade ago

I think it's kind of stupid. You're not a poser for liking a certain band, you're a poser for pretending to like a band to be cool.

BA:Probably something by Cryptopsy

BA2:Cryptopsy

BA3:None,but I enjoy Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower more than Bob Dylan's,but I love Bob too

BA4:lol

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I hate it when people think just because a band is popular it's ****. The Beatles, Stones, Animals, Nirvana are extremely well known and you'd be an idiot to call them untalented. Green Day, The White Stripes, Micheal Jackson.

People should listen to what they want and not take any **** about it from some loser who thinks cause he listens to underground bands he is better than somebody who likes Paramore.

Music is music.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, I believe that the people who call them "posers" are being ignorant. If the person isn't claiming to be something, then how are they a "poser"? To be a "poser" is to pretend you are something you're not. As far as I know, no one here knows each other personally enough to know if they are doing that, and I don't think that saying they like a certain band should lead someone to jump to the conclusion that they are doing it. To the people that call others "posers": What happened to respecting people's opinions? You like what you like, they like what they like. Deal with it and move on.

• How is liking what you like being a poser? Not sure I understand that. But I do hate posers, when im 100% sure that they are.

BA: I'll get back to you when I come up with something

BA2: Blink-182, I really never saw a problem with them, but a lot of others did,.

BA3: Nirvana - Love Buzz

BA4: A santa costume, that way he stops at three Ho's.

• 1 decade ago

In my toughts,I define a poser in music as someone who is pretending

to like a band or singer just to be "cool" or "fit in" but they actually don't

like them.I met a 7th grader 2 months ago who said she liked Tokio

Hotel but she didn't even know the drummer and bassist's names and

all she said was "TOM (guitarist) IS HOT!!!!!!!" and didn't even know

all their albums or didn't know they were going to release an album this

year. That's a poser. She was a emo wannabe as well.

But for liking Fall Out Boy or Paramore and asking for similar bands

like them,that's not being a poser.

BQ: I don't know

BQ2: Tokio Hotel

BQ3: Hasn't happened.

BQ4: Nothing,he doesn't deserve anything.

• aw, I don't care much either way. It's like..their problem/issue/thing if they wanna fake liking a band. No skin off my teeth, or whatever that expression is.

and to your second question:

I think they have crap taste in music, but then..taste is all subjective, and my opinion's basically worthless. xD. It's possible to like those bands, but I personally don't.

BA: xD, Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz-Pretty Boy Floyd.

BA2: Pretty Boy Floyd, probably. It's like..the cheesiest hair metal there is. <3.

BA3: Up and Around the Bend, covered by Hanoi Rocks. I didn't like CCRs version.

BA4: Coal?

(and to someone who answered earlier, I love Mr. Bungle. :D.)

• 1 decade ago

I don't think one way or the other on posers.

BQ: Mr, Bungles "Pink Ciggarette"

BQ2 Mr. Bungle and Anthrax

BQ3 House of the Rising Sun--love the Animals version, knoclkin on heavens door is another (love GnR version) Mr Tamborine Man (love the Byrds) Poor Bob Dylan, he writes good stuff, it just wasn't heavy enough !!

BQ4 A dolly to be with during his divorce

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.