Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What exactly are traditional American values?

Okay, so if "respect for the individual" is one of them, can I ask how it is in support of American values to ban gay marriage?

You know, the things that we Socialists are apparently so keen to steal from the USA.

Best Answer

Generally, traditional American values are meant to be things like religion, hard-work, a core family structure, personal responsibility, capitalism, accountability for one's own actions, and limited government that conservatives champion.

• Diane

Hello, dear....I think it's pretty obvious that Mr. Obama, and his wife, value the freedom of speech and religion. I've yet to hear either he or his wife voice a disdain for gun owners, but I have heard them call for gun control...surely no private citizen needs an AK-47, wouldn't you agree? I disagree with him most sincerely on the issue of immigration, but I do feel that there is probably a more rational solution than to build another Berlin Wall...multitudes of Americans from a variety of faiths do not put their hands over their hearts when singing the national anthem (the Churches of Christ, Mennonites, Amish, Quakers are just a few examples), and besides, that reverence is really supposed to be shown during the Pledge of Allegiance...it's a rather recent action to do during the anthem...and truthfully, just imagine for a moment that you are a minority in our nation. I don't agree with Michelle Obama's statements, nor do I like- at all- what she said. However, I'm relatively certain that my experience as an American woman is profoundly different from her's. I know our ethnic histories certainly are. She's perfectly entitled to say how she feels about her country. Obviously, she loves what she thinks it could be. I can't imagine that she would want to be First Lady of a place she truly despised.

The ones practiced for over 300 years on these shores (before and after the War for Independence).

Apparently you are a newcomer so why don't you read about the history of this great nation from a non-leftist source?

You might try Samuel Eliot Morison's "The History of the American People" or "Albion's Seed" both from Oxford University Press for starters.

Americans values have always been opposed to socialism (see "Of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647" by William Bradford).

Individual Liberty, self-reliance, private property rights, self-determination and moral absolutism.

None of which are part of any Socialist system, regardless of whatever lies you have been told.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."

"“We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission: which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force”.

-Ayn Rand

*

In my opinion, the things the Libertarian Party believe in.

Libertarians believe in the American heritage of liberty, enterprise, and personal responsibility. Libertarians recognize the responsibility we all share to preserve this precious heritage for our children and grandchildren.

Libertarians believe that being free and independent is a great way to live. We want a system which encourages all people to choose what they want from life; that lets them live, love, work, play, and dream their own way.

The Libertarian way is a caring, people-centered approach to politics. We believe each individual is unique. We want a system which respects the individual and encourages us to discover the best within ourselves and develop our full potential.

The Libertarian way is a logically consistent approach to politics based on the moral principle of self-ownership. Each individual has the right to control his or her own body, action, speech, and property. Government's only role is to help individuals defend themselves from force and fraud.

The Libertarian Party is for all who don't want to push other people around and don't want to be pushed around themselves. Live and let live is the Libertarian way.

Individual rights including not being taxed based on income level (federal income taxes as we have today were unconstitutional until 1913), no central bank, no foreign alliances, entanglements, or favoritism. Basically the opposite of what both major political parties stand for today.

• L.T.M.

Well you've gotten some great answers here so let me just say this. Think about the fact that Albert's posting of the wise words of our founders was given 5 thumbs down. That says a Lot about your team!

Americans not in concordance with the historic, eloquent words of our fore-fathers attempt to detract from the fabric of this great country. What they must realize is that if they dethrone these ideals, they will dethrone their very freedoms. I fear that it is too late to prevent a country's demise when a fair portion of its own citizens do not value these important ideals. God help us.

1) smaller federal government and more power to local governments!

2) making people accountable for what they do!

3) self-responsibility

4) RESPECT for the individual

• Albert

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”- Thomas Jefferson

“I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.”- Thomas Jefferson

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”- Thomas Jefferson

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”- Thomas Jefferson

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.”- George Washington

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."- John Adams

“The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself.”- Benjamin Franklin

“For my own part, I sincerely esteem it [the Constitution] a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests."- Alexander Hamilton

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.”- James Madison

“"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible."- George Washington

"Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations."

George Washington

"Power always thinks... that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws." John Adams

"Never spend your money before you have earned it."

Thomas Jefferson

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories."

Thomas Jefferson

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Thomas Jefferson

"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government."

Alexander Hamilton