Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 1 decade ago

what is the difference between a jet and a airplane?

I remember when i was 8 or 9 i was tellling my mom about a jet and she said that there was no different between a jet and a airplane and my dad said that same... i was surprised to hear that cause my parents are really smart. Well i think that they are. And so what is the differene???

and please dont say my parents are stupid or something cause they are not... we are all human and make mistakes like that

Favorite Answer

airplanes are the general term for flying fixed-wing vehicles. jets are a more specific kind of airplane.

Airplanes have different type of motors - that propel them though the sky. A long time ago, they were just automobile engines with a propeller, then the designers started using a "jet engine" which uses very hot air to push the airplane. Most Big commercial Airplanes use the Jet engine, but a lot of little airplanes use the propeller motor - like a piper airplane. So today, we do have both types of engines on airplanes. So your parents are both right.

all jets are airplanes

not all airplanes are jets (some are propeller-driven)