Is metaphysical and ethical maturation and understanding a question of age?

father Thomas Keating and Ken Wilbur agree that understanding comes from maturation not from contemplation (you tube interview).
erickson's theory seems to support this idea. that is... that young students in their early 20's cannot possibly "get it" and are doomed to change as they mature
Update: peadar...even Bertrand Russell changed over the years (source: his autobiographies) and JS Mill (who was a barrister/solicitor at age 13) altered his views as he aged.
Update 2: playdo's republic makes reference to this question (as a comment) that age frees one from "passion" and allows one to "speculate" more effectively. can you tell me who said this and in what chapter ?
Update 3: box...is it possible that as one gains experience by increased exposure to new concepts and understanding through contemplation of those acquired ideas one might develop a deeper understanding?. might we refer to this deeper understanding as "maturation"? would it not be folly to believe that ones ideas... show more box...is it possible that as one gains experience by increased exposure to new concepts and understanding through contemplation of those acquired ideas one might develop a deeper understanding?. might we refer to this deeper understanding as "maturation"?
would it not be folly to believe that ones ideas and opinions cannot change with age?
Update 4: i'm sure you have a point Peadar...i just don't know what it is. it's not a question of who said what, but rather, what was said. if you embraced the notion of espousing obfuscation i'm convinced i would get your point
7 answers 7