Please please help with hmwk?

basically i need some help on these questions, i need to write an essay, but i cant seem to find alot. but theres two parts to it. im not asking you to do it for me just some details, and ideas or sources, etc.

1. why did the USA-USSR alliance begin to break down in 1945?

- background distrust

- yalta/potsdam.

2. how had the USSR gained control of eastern europe by 1948?

- soviet expansion in eastern europe

- iron curtain.

basically we havent done alot of this in school et, but we have to get it completed over christmas, some help pleaseeee pleaseeeee :)

thanks in advance.

Best Answer

1) Both answers are correct, there had been a lot of distrust even at the height of the war. Yalta and Potsdam whilst both successful did little to lessen the distrust.

2) Neither answer is correct. The Soviets did not expand into Eastern Europe - they fought the Nazis all the way from Moscow back to Berlin. And the Iron Curtain was not how they gained control, but a result of that control.

There are three main reasons for the Soviet Domination over the countries of Eastern Europe:

1) Russia has historically had no secure border. There are no great rivers, no mountains, no deserts no seas that separate her from her potentially war-like neighbours. This fear of invasion, and the idea of buying time through land (Russia, when invaded has often allowed the enemy to invade, then, when their supply lines are overstretched, they counter-attack) is one of the reasons that Russia became so big. As former order towns become consolidated into the Russian political landscape, so does the need to push the border further away from the heartland. After the devastation faced in the Soviet Union in WWII the Soviets wanted to push the border as far away from Kiev, from Moscow & Minsk as they could.

2) They wanted to set up satellite countries because they could. The Red Army had conquered the territory at great expense and the Soviet leadership was unwilling to simply withdraw - allowing Western style governments to push right up to her borders.

3) The Yalta Agreement between FDR, Churchill & Stalin had laid out the spheres of influence that each of the Allied countries would have, and the satellite countries all fell under the Soviet sphere.

Some further reasons:

The Soviets had a different view of democracy to the one in the West. The Soviets argued that as the Communist party represented the people and was of the people, it was an inherently democratic form of government.

There was also Marxist ideology behind it. Marx claimed that the Communist Revolution was inevitable - especially in highly industrialised and advanced Germany. The Soviets saw it as their mission to export the revolution to other countries - especially Germany.

The Soviets saw what the Western Allies were doing in Western Europe as no different to what they were doing - establishing governments based on models of the victors' own governments.

And one final reason was to prevent a unified Germany from being a threat to the Soviet Union ever again.

See:

The Captive Nations - Patrick Brogan (it's a simplistic overview of the histories of the countries under Communist domination in Europe after the war)

Well, there's 2 things you're throwing together Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression. I cannot be classified as having PPD, because I'm only a little over a week post partum, but I definitely have baby blues. It's exacerbated by fatigue. I've barely slept since my son was born, and slept less than 4 hours by the time I took my son home from the hospital. I cried all the time the first few days. It isn't that I didn't love my son or wasn't happy. I was just physically and emotionally exhausted, and my hormones were still all over the place. It's particularly bad for me because I'm pretty much a single mom. My boyfriend doesn't live with me, and only sees the baby about every other day for an hour at a time. It's very hard doing this all alone, and my hormones are making me crazy. Like, I'm getting really scared that my boyfriend is going to leave us. I get scared that I'll be a bad mom. The first few days when my baby would cry I would cry too, because I was so exhausted and hormonal.