Do you think it's wrong that we "lie" to children about Santa Claus/The Three Wise Men/St. Nick?

I don't. I think that I've never met a person who was "traumatized" by that small fib. But then again, I'd like to hear your opinion. I too will tell my children about The Three Wise Men, maybe not Santa Claus since I don't really know what he has to do with the Nativity????

Best Answer

I never thought of it as a something cruel or mean. I like telling kids about Santa Claus because it makes the Holidays magical to them. It's wonderful to hear children talk about how happy they are about Santa.

Edit- People keep focusing on how telling kids about Santa is teaching them that lying is ok, but what about all the good things you learn from Santa Claus. Kids learn to be good for the sake of being good, they learn to be generous, they learn to be unselfish, they learn to help others, they learn to be kind to large brown mammals with antlers, they learn about giving others joy and laughter, and they learn to always try to be a better person. I think all of that makes up for one little lie.

.

Source(s): I feel like it keeps them from turning into cynical bastards before their time.

Santa Claus is a traditional folklore character developed for commercialization. The Three Kings were real people read the Gospel of St. Matthew 2:1-2. Also St. Nicholas was also a real person, which Santa Claus was based upon.

Interesting question. I´m not sure what to tell my kid. On the one hand, I don´t feel comfortable lying to him but on the other hand I have such fond memories of believing in Father Christmas. I was not traumatized when I found out so it´s not harmful, but it still feels like taking advantage of an innocent kid who believes everything I say, it seems a bit disrespectful somehow. This Christmas Santa Claus will not be visiting but the Three Wise Men will be leaving presents on the 6th of January (we´re in Spain).

Supernatural beings from pre-Christian European religions, such as fairies, pixies, elves, gnomes, and so on, have been relegated to fairytales or folklore for children.

Easter eggs and the Easter bunny are relics from pre-Christian fertility symbols. The resurrection of the crops was supplanted by the resurrection of Christ.

And the roots of Santa Claus are probably ancient Norse/Germanic religions, perhaps a connection with Odin and Yule. He has been Christianised by being identified with St Nicholas of Myra (St Nicholas/Claus).

Whether there was an intention of original religious leaders or rulers to suppress the supplanted religions by making the beliefs "childish fantasy", so making it seem unmanly/unwomanly for adults to hold them, or whether it's something that happens sub-consciously within a community as a kind of viral folk memory, might be an interesting discussion.

Fundamentally there isn't a difference between modern religious beliefs and supplanted religious beliefs. It just depends on what religion was held or favoured by those in power; in the case of Christianity, that was the Roman empire and those who later replaced it, when it was part of the political power base; although the religion has diversified by the adoption into it of some pre-Christian elements.

Telling people tall tales and tricking them is cruel. I wasn't traumatized because I never beleived in the first place. First of all, how could a big fat man fit down that narrow chimney? Second, how doesn't he get burned in our wood stove? Third, how does he get past the latch on the door without breaking the steel? Third, why didn't I see him when I stayed up to wait to see if it was true?

I asked my parents these things and they didn't know what to say, so they gave me the truth. They said that Santa is the spirit of Christmas. From then on, I knew it was a hoax. They didn't fool me for long. That little 'fooling around' with the minds of children prepares them for the 'fooling around' with minds of adults in the real world. Con men do it all the time.

It's teaching children to lie and not just a little "fib". The 3 wise men were real, although they weren't at the manger but came along 2 years later.

• Ernie

Yes , it is, because it opens children up to the spirit of deception, and may cause children not to believe their parents. Question: why will people tell their children these lies, but won't even tell them about God? Even if God were a lie ( but He is not ), how come He gets singled out, while Santa never does?

It's really not nasty or wrong?!

Santa claus just makes christmas more magical and happy when you're younger, I really doubt that when you get older you'll be traumatised, it does no harm. I'm 14 and I'm hardly ruined for life because of it.. it made christmas better. i think pretty much everyone feels that way.

My parents didn't reveal to me that Santa Claus was not real. I found out in school in front of the whole class.It was embarrassing and a disappointment,

Source(s): life itself

Oh Saint Nick WAS real, but he died more than a thousand years ago so it's technically not a lie but the half-truth now. Also he never used any sort of any reindeer.