Do you think we should stop teaching scientific theories in science class in public schools?

You know, theories like germ theory, cell theory, theory of relativity, atomic theory, circuit theory, and all the other scientific theories out there, since evolution is only a theory?

Update:

And if not, what makes evolution and the Big Bang theory the only theories that some Christians are against?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

No - but there is something that *should* be done.

1) Before teaching any scientific theory, time should be spent explaining not only exactly what that means, but also giving a brief historical overview of the fate of the most popular scientific theories of the past. This will allow students to realize that most popular scientific theories throughout history have been invalidated by later discoveries. Therefore, they will have the proper perspective and the give the proper degree of credence to the theories that they are later taught.

2) Each theory that is taught should then be quite explicitly identified as a scientific theory. The existence of the many valid competing theories should be mentioned at the same time (though not enumerated - that would be too much detail for most scientific theories).

Following this procedure, students will gain the proper regard for scientific theories - something that most students **do not gain** from current educational practices. It's appalling how many people "believe in" the "truth" of popular scientific theories.

Jim, Bach Sci in Physics

P.S. Gravity is not a scientific theory. "Gravitation" - that is, the mechanism by which gravity operates - *is* a matter for scientific theory.

P.P.S. to Jalasian - physicists *know* that the theory of relativity is faulty. That is a universally-accepted fact among physicists. However, until a theory is proposed that predicts how the universe works better than the theory of relativity, scientists will continue using that theory. The moment a theory that is equally useful and less faulty appears, the theory of relativity will be discarded.

• 1 decade ago

The only theories that Christains are against are the ones of the big bang and evolution.

If we Christains cant teach our "bullshet shaninigans" in skool then neither shud scientists.

The evolution theory and th big bang theory are the only ones that go against religion,which public skools r not allowed to teach anything involving religion.

Christains are just being discriminated in public skool,we arnt allowed to read aloud bibles but we can read aloud some crazy hypotthesis from some crzy guy that thinks everything is made of star stuff.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Evolution is fact not theory. It was a theory c200 years ago, but science has so moved on since then. In Darwin's day we were still traversing the world by wooden ship. Now we are sending people to the moon.

I suppose it depends on which era you mentally want to live in, the dark ages or the age of enlightenment. ;)

Practicing Shaman... quantum physics rocks

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not against teaching scientific theories in public school science classes as long as we teach our children that God or our Intelligent Designer knew these theories and those theories in the future yet learned long before mankind did.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Lord created everything for you so you can discover it and find him in the POINT of all things!

That is how it was made only a blind person can't see what is going on today.

We have the most information of any nation before us and yet we are the most ignorant of them all.

Source(s): Batman
  • Joline
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A theory is an unproven conjecture.....All the the things you mentioned have been proven, therefore we should not stop teaching those things you mentioned........

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I go to a private school in New Jersey and i am a religious muslim i believe that we should stop because

1. We don't know if it is true

2. I goes what it says in our religon

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not sure about that, buy one wonders if fundies shouldn't be refused service at hospital and clinics, because after all, MEDICINE IS BASED ON BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE.

• 5 years ago

extremely tough point. seek on a search engine. it can assist!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think that anybody that truly believes that there is a god, be declared mentaly impaired.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.