Why does my computer mouse continually stop working?

It's a new computer (picked it up Wednesday), new mouse, but my computer stops reading it after awhile. I've tried plugging it in while the computer was off, plugging it in different USB ports, but nothing works. Either my computer stops reading it, or it won't read the mouse in the first place. I... show more It's a new computer (picked it up Wednesday), new mouse, but my computer stops reading it after awhile. I've tried plugging it in while the computer was off, plugging it in different USB ports, but nothing works. Either my computer stops reading it, or it won't read the mouse in the first place. I had the same problem with my old computer, with a different mouse, and I bought this mouse to replace the old one. But this mouse works fine on my husband's laptop.
My computer is a Sony Vaio, with Windows 7, and the mouse is a Microsoft optical wheel mouse. My old laptop is also a Vaio but with Windows Vista, if that helps. What's the deal?
Update: It isn't the mouse that came with the computer... no mouse came with it, except the one on the laptop itself. I suppose I could test my husband's mouse with the computer and see if it works.
If it doesn't, maybe I could try ordering a Logitech online.