kiki asked in TravelUnited StatesBoston · 1 decade ago

Can anybody tell me about the city of Boston?

I'm a young twenty-something Afrrican-American female thinking of going to grad school in Boston.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Fun city. Lots to do here, but the weather sucks.

Boston is a city of about 600,000 people, with a metro area of more than 5 million. It is only about 40 square miles, so it is very densely populated for a US city. Boston has a good mass transit system (MBTA, or the T and you need it too for the roads are poorly planned and there are way too many drivers. Not only that the drivers are aggressive, best to use the T.

Boston is a diverse, politically liberal city with a long, proud history. Irish is the single largest ethnic group in the area, however there is no clear ethnic majority as the area is very diverse. There is also a large gay population in the Boston area as well. The predominant religion is Roman Catholic, however, the region also has the highest amount of nonreligious people in the country. The Boston area is very politically liberal

Sports are popular here as is rock music, however, you don't need to like either to be popular here.

The weather here is generally unpleasant. Winters are long and cold. And you are prone long rainy periods at any time during the rest of the year. Summers are usually nice, spring and fall are hit or miss.

Things to do in Boston:

Museums, lots of Museums: The MFA (art) Isabella Stuart Gardner (art) ICA (art) The Aquarium, The Science Museum, Harvard and MIT museums, not to mention all the Historical sites; sites along the Freedom Trail, John Adams House

Check listings for concerts, plays and other events

Red Sox Game,or other sports event

Visit the Harbor Islands, Whale watch, Blue Hills State reservation

shopping, lots of shopping in Quincy Market, Newbury Street or Harvard Square in Cambridge, also visit the insanely overpriced Copley Place Mall

Duck tours

Go to the top of the Prudential Tower for a great view

Source(s): ..
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

im from the Uk but have visited Boston. It is a relatively small city centre about 2.5 miles long. It's full of history and culture such as the Old North Church, Faneuil Hall. It has the largest amount of colleges in the US some examples are Harvard and MIT(across the Charles river in Cambridge), Boston College, Tufts University. I think there are about 63 in total. Boston also has some really interesting neighborhoods such as the North End, home to many Italians. The Back Bay is reclaimed swampland and Beacon Hill with some of the oldest houses in Massachusetts.

Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You'd love school here. I'm assuming you'd be around Cambridge if you're at grad-school. Cambridge is still city, but a little less than Boston. Cambridge is basically hippies & college kids. It's a good mix. We love rock and roll, and there's always something to do. The weather gets taking used to. But i think if you can survive here, you can survive anywhere. You really won't have to worry about transportation because we have the T, which is really nice, and runs all the way out to beaches in Revere(not my favorite beach, but the blue line gets you there). If you didn't learn how to drive in Boston, don't even bother driving, you'll get yourself killed, or you'll end up traumatized if you're lucky.

I really love Boston, especially in spring, the best thing to do is have a picnic at the gardens with friends.

The cape is like a little slice of heaven on earth, it's like a 60s beach dream. Kind of like going back in time.

Try looking up Boston on Urbandictionary.com for a better idea of things.

try www.yelp.com for recs for everything, places, etc around the area. I'm from here and I've even found a lot of cool places.

edit: ugh, don't go on a duck tour. you'lll look like a tourist, you're not missing much.

• 3 years ago

under no circumstances. The "classified ads" have been placed below the overpasses of significant highways. each and each region might have been a valid terror purpose (might have led to dying and severe disruption to the infrastructure of the city in the event that they had relatively been bombs). the city of Boston had to apply the components of the police, firefighters, and bomb squad, costing the city time and funds and taking those civil servants removed from aspects interior the city the place they have been relatively necessary. those days, a organization ought to have a sprint extra understanding of the ramifications of any guerrilla promoting and marketing campaign and be prepared to pay the implications.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Please post more questions on specific topics! You will get much better answers.

In partial answer, if you do not have a school and program already selected, there are many universities in Boston so you'll have lots of options.

And as of right now, we are blanketed in about 10 inches of snow.

• mira
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Let me tell you Boston is the best place for a student so you will love it here. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its a great city there many things to do there are many museum's pretty good shopping a great sports town and nice people good resturants

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Can you be more specific about what you want to know? It's a rather broad question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.