Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Science fiction/fantasy, fiction, and time traveling books?

You see, I have a friend who reads a lot of books. However, because she reads a lot, I don't really know what books to get her that she hasn't read yet. Her favorite type of books are science fiction/fantasy, fiction, and time traveling books. Any recommendations?!

Favorite Answer

Ask her about some of the authors below, as in would she recommend them to you? This might help you find out what she has & hasn't read. Also check out the provided links for more ideas.

Fantasy: Anything by Neil Gaiman

Sci-Fi: Something by Jules Verne, H G Wells, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein or Andre Norton.

Fiction: Tough to say without knowing your friends age or anything about her. Maybe "The Complete Short Stories of: Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, Ernest Hemingway, Jack London or an anthology of short stories (fiction, fantasy or sci-fi) with contributions from numerous authors. Maybe a novel by Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy or Charles Dickens.

If you can't get decent used books locally, go to www.amazon.com

• Dale

This is something I would like to know the answer to as well. Here are some that I have enjoyed: The Sprawl Trilogy by William Gibson The Bridge Series by William Gibson A clockwork Orange The Streets Of Eyes (An online novel that's still continuing. Search it on google.) This is all I can think of at the moment right off the top of my head. They are all definitly for adults. A clockwork orange and The Steets of Eyes are very graphic, and they are all science fiction/cyberpunk based.

SciFi-

Childhood's End- Arthur C Clarke

Stranger in a Strange Land- Robert Heinland

Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength- CS Lewis

Anything by Jules Verne

This is not strictly, time traveling, but rather a sub genre of Science Fiction/Fantasy

generally described as "Alternate History".

In my opinion the master of this is Harry Turtledove.

Check out the following webpage to see if this sounds like what she would like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove

Source(s): 40 years a Sci-Fi / Fantasy fan

I am an avid reader and the gift I like most is a gift certificate to a book store or site. Let her pick the title. I don't in the least think it is inconsiderate to receive a gift certificate.

If she is a voracious reader then in all likelihood she has already read "The Time Traveler's Wife" and the others mentioned previously.

the first book that pops into my head is the time travelers wife which was recently created into a movie with that chick from the notebook and mean girls. i forgot her name. i think the movie is out on dvd too so you could get her the book and dvd and possibly watch it together or something.

Then you have some jodi picoult for some intense fiction that makes you question what you would do in situations. Jodi picoult is cool, she got her shizzle down.

The Lovely bones was a really good book and that recently came out in theatres too. i havent seen the movie yet but it seems amazing!

I recoommend these authors, a mix of SFF and fiction:

Clive Cussler

James Michener

Jack Du Brul

Eric Flint

Neil Gaiman

Terry Pratchett

Robert Heinlein

Christopher Moore

Carl Hiaasen

Susan Kay

If she hasn't already read it, she might enjoy "TIMELINE" by Micheal Crichton, it's a sci-fi about a group of historians who have to travel back in time to the middle ages to save their colleague who has already traveled back and is stuck in the past.

• ?

tad williams writes some great fantasy. so does melanie rawn.

Try http://www.EnglishNovels.net

specifically you can try - Aghast, BlackHole, Zero, Elove