How do I tell a co-worker politely that they have a strong body odor?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • sunset
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't tell the co-worker. They'll hate you for life. Instead go and ask someone in your HR department to break the news to this co-worker. That's part of HR's job anyway.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think you can politely tell somebody that they smell bad. There is no way I can think of to impart that sentiment in a way that won't hurt their feelings.

They may be aware of the problem, as it could be medical (such diseases exist I have learned - thank you Discovery Health) and they may not be able to do anything about it.

You could try to give them a gift of fragrance or soaps, but it probably won't stop the problem as you are probably not the first to try that tactic if this problem is persistent.

If you are genuinely concerned for their feelings, you are just going to have to hold your breath and endure the stink.

• 1 decade ago

First of all, do you work closely with this person every minute of every day? Or, do you pass this person in the hall once in awhile?

If you worked with this person in close proximity with this person every day, then you should let this person know that you have discovered a new type of deodorant that eliminates bad odor instantly. You should let this person know the name of this newly discovered deodorant and ask if this person would like for you to get him one.

If he hasn't bathed in a while and you know for sure, tell him a funny story of your son and his aversion to bathing himself. Then ask your co-worker for his opinion on how your son should bathe. Then ask him how often HE bathes.

Most important of all, you should be sensitive to people in your surrounding.

• 1 decade ago

There is no way to tell someone politely that they smell bad. They will be highly offended. I agree with the people that say contact HR.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kymm r
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

either wear strong perfume/aftershave when you go to the office and if people complain about that tell them it is because someone in the office smells offensive or straight out say to the person can you please wear deodorant to work. or if they say they do ask them to re apply at lunch time or bring a change of shirts with them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Speak to your supervisor that is part of their job. If you approach them personally, you might find a harassment report on yourself being written in HR, or a report to your boss about discrimination, harassment, or some other trumped up charge.

If It is not your job to deal with these type personnel issues, I suggest that you keep your mouth shut.

• 1 decade ago

Well it's coming up to Christmas , what about a gift set of body spray and bodywash . or just get onto the subject of a new product you found and it's really nice , say would you like to try it . it stops all body odours . you smelly pig lol

• 1 decade ago

you cant lol there is no polite way but there is a less hurtful way

just say 'have you tried the new deodorant? it smells real good!' or but them a deodarant as a gift

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Have a friend from the outside make an anonymous phone call and tell them that they smell, while you're at work in plain sight so they know it wasn't you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.