promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

When was tobacco made illegal to buy for children in the United States?

Please state the year

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The United States has no federal minimum age requirement for the purchase of tobacco products. In 1996, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration attempted to establish 18 as the national minimum age at which tobacco could be sold; however, this decision was overturned by the Supreme Court, which stated that the FDA was not explicitly given authority by Congress to assert such rules (in FDA v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp.). However, though there is no federal minimum age requirement, the Synar Amendment (Section 1926 of Title XIX of the Federal Public Health Service Act), passed by federal lawmakers in 1992, shifted the responsibility of age limits to the states and required that all 50 states and the District of Colombia have and enforce laws that prohibit sales of tobacco to individuals younger than 18 years of age.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It isn't illegal for children to buy tobacco,

it is illegal to SELL or PROVIDE tobacco for children

a child can't be arrested for smoking, but

a store owner can be fined for selling cigarettes to children

EDIT: thank you, Tapestry6, for proving me right, even though I know people don't believe me

a child can not be arrested for attempting to buy tobacco, it is illegal to sell it to the child

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.