Are these good choices for my high school audition?

Allright, I have asked a lot of questions about what do prepare for my performing arts magnet program high school audition, and I finally have a few options. Just to be clear, I am a fourteen year old girl who is a mezzo to a second soprano. So, for my monologue, I was either going to do Eleemosynary, or the coathanger sculpture from charlie brown. For my song, I have many choices. 1. Part of Bohemian Rhapsody, 2. Edelweiss from the sound of music, 3. Maybe this time from cabaret, 4. Somewhere over the rainbow (ukelele version), 5. What a Wonderful World, 6. Rainbow connection (kermit the frog) any other suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!!

• Jess
    Favorite Answer

I agree with JLi, musical theatre pieces are best for auditions. All schools actually require you to sing a song from a musical, so I'd discard "Bohemian Rhapsody". And do not sing "Over the Rainbow". You don't want to be compared to Judy Garland, and it's overdone anyway. If you are auditioning for a performing arts school, I'd assume you'd already have a wide repertoire. Since you aren't auditioning for a specific show, you'll want to sing a song that shows off your absolute BEST voice, no matter what type of genre it's suited to. If I were auditioning, I'd sing a song from "Phantom of the Opera". Here are some songs that may suit your range:

Born To Entertain - Ruthless!

Climb Ev'ry Mountain - The Sound of Music

Falling In Love With Love - Boys from Syracuse

God Help The Outcasts - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Heaven, Help My Heart - Chess

If I Were A Bell - Guys and Dolls

My Lord And Master - The King and I

Roxie - Chicago

Show Off - Drowsy Chaperone

When I Look At You - Scarlet Pimpernel

Break a leg!

Source(s): Musical Theatre Enthusiast, Soprano musicaltheatreaudition.com my own repertoire

I would recommend either 2 or 3 on your list. Musical theatre pieces usually show off your voice more, and you want to be remembered!

do any monologues you think you're well at acting. for my audition into my tuition i did a monologue from a exhibit referred to as bang bang your useless and it was once an overly dramatic piece. participate in what you believe you excellent at. within the interview they frequently ask what you believe you carry to the exhibit, how so much experince you have had and different ordinary matters like that