Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Does anybody believe in Raffaele Sollecito's innocence?

I can't see Raffaele as a calculated killer. Whatever his involvement I think at most he was caught up in a drug-fuelled incident which he neither foresaw nor intended. His long-term sentence seems disproportionate to that fact, if fact it be. Reactions ?

Favorite Answer

That is an interesting point. However, he was not thinking rationally and had NOT been thinking with the head situated between his shoulders for the previous week.

In my opinion, Mr. Sollecito was caught up in this madness and reacted out of passion. Passion is the "devil" that we heard so much about during the trial. He may very well have contributed to the slaying of the young victim, Ms. Kerchner, but I do not think he did so in a premeditated manner. More than one person killed her. And, Ms. Knox was at the scene of the crime. (How else can one explain the total lack of her fingerprints in the entire house? She had been living there, correct?)

I also do not believe that it was a "drug fueled" murder. A bit of grass or hash does not contribute to such violence. Rather, the opposite is true. Most people simply fall asleep. I don't see a lot of violent activity associated with grass or hashish. Alcohol, however, has indeterminable effects. If one wants a source, I would suggest the legal drug rather than the illegal drug was the culprit here.

Likely, Ms. Knox stole some money from Ms. Kerchner and got caught. The situation spiraled out of control after that.

Ms. Knox received 24 years + 2 for lying and falsely accusing someone else while Mr. Sollecito received 24 years + 1 for lying. Mr. Guede received 30 years (today reduced to 16) for being an accomplice. It is possible that both Mr. Sollecito's and Ms. Knox's sentences will be reduced to about 10-12 years on appeal. Taking in to account time served, they will be out in 8 years. Not too bad for murder.

Addendum: However, I did know someone like him when I was young. That person I never trusted.