A) Power plants are sized to meet peak demand during the day, and run constantly because that's the way something that size has to do it. excess energy at night is wasted in the form of heat. An electric car charging an night makes use of the power that would otherwise be wasted. Zero new emissions.
1) Even if you see an electric vehicle as being powered by pure coal, it would still be more environmentally friendly because of efficiency. Less overall emissions then a gas engine produces.
2) That's not even counting the emissions of refining and transporting the gasoline, by boat and then by truck, that adds up to a lot. Electric goes straight through a wire.
3) Electric cars don't have to be powered by coal. It opens up new opportunities for new energy markets. They can be powered by wind, rivers, ocean tides, ocean waves, geo thermal, photovoltaic or solar thermal power. Enough energy hits us from the sun alone to power the entire human population thousands of times over. Renewable energy is one of the fastest growing industries. Even today a big chunk of our energy comes from renewables or nuclear. They make less profit then the fossil fuel industry, which is why fossil fuel has such a stronghold over the economy, but they still do make a lot of money.
4) All factories pollute, they're powered by coal. Batteries are the most recycled product we use.
5) What's wrong with creating new jobs, strengthening the economy and reducing dependence on foreign oil thus strengthening national security, even if you could give a flying f*ck about the environment?
6) Electric cars do not require crank case oil, anti freeze, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid or axel oil, all of which pollute. EVs have thousands fewer parts thus require less maintenance. Less maintenance is less waste which is better for the environment.
You won't ever have to replace your alternator, starter, water pump, air filter, radiator, muffler, spark plugs, oil filter, pcv valve, egr valve, o2 sensor, timing belt, accessory belt, fuel filter, fuel pump, carburetor, y pipe, catalytic converter, and the list goes on and on. It makes owning a car a lot simpler.
7) are they completely environmentally friendly? no. Are they environmentally sustainable? yes.